Hop combination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillkid

Reaction score
I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of an extract IPA. My second batch.
Hop schedule:
1 oz. Cascade @ 60 minutes
1.5 oz. Cascade & 1 oz. Amarillo at flameout. Sat for 30 minutes.

I have an 8 oz. bag of Columbus hops a buddy sent to me. They are whole leaf.

I was thinking of using the Columbus to dry hop. Anybody have any experience with this combination? It looks like Columbus is in the same "family" as the cascade and Amarillo, so it makes sense to me. I just need some feedback, just in case.

Alternatively, I was gonna buy 1 oz each of cascade and Amarillo to dry hop.

Columbus and Cascade are both "West Coast 'C' Hops", they pair well together. I'm not a huge fan of Amarillo, I've used it a bunch and it always comes off as a weird flavor. Others swear by it though. I'd toss all 8oz of Columbus in as the dry hop and see what you end up with.

I prefer to use Columbus in the boil, either for bittering or some flavor/ aroma. I also prefer not to mix too many different hops in a single brew, because it becomes difficult to pick out the contributions from each strain.

I would dry hop with Cascade and Amarillo. And I would use whole leaf hops - dry hopping with pellets make racking a huge chore. Although the whole leaf hops will soak up more beer...

FWIW, I like the combination of Simcoe and Amarillo in my IPAs a whole lot. Cascade and Amarillo are too similar to my taste, and I seem to prefer Amarillo out of the two of them.

Just my $0.02...

EDIT: I saw TheHopfather's post, and I would caution against using all 8oz for dry hopping. In my experience, there is not much benefit gained by using more than about 2oz, and you will lose a disappointing amount of beer even in 2oz whole leaf hops.

I guess it would come down to how many IBUs I want in the beer, but would 8 ozs of Columbus be enough to do a SMaSH?

I have never used Columbus, and from the descriptors alone I probably never will.

To get the most aroma out of this dual purpose varietal, try the dry hopping process and relish in the pungent, peppery and licorice scent it will add to your brew.

Thanks. I just figured out that I can search within a forum topic. I found a bunch on Columbus SMaSH. I think that's the path I'm gonna take. I was leaning towards the Amarillo/cascade DH anyways.

I appreciate y'alls feedback.

I made a Columbus SMaSH once. It was interesting. Definitely not awful. I liked it but it was not one of my favorites, just a beer.... I definitely would use it in combination with something else. I don't remember any peppery, licorice taste or smell.

BTW, if you do a dry hop with Amarillo and Cascades it is not a SMaSH.

Back