Hop Chute Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landshark67

Reaction score
I decided to try something other than nylon strainer bags when using whole hops. Since last year's harvest and this year's mega crop I am using far more whole hops than ever.

Here's what I "created".

Stainless mesh tubes, welded together with a stainless bottom and two ss rods for holding the chute over the kettle. The chute hangs aprox 4 inches from the bottom of the keggle.

hop_chute_top.jpg

hop_chute_front.jpg

hop_chute_bottom.jpg

The hop chute worked incredibly well. Not only did the leaf hops seems to float/move around well inside, the layer of hops made for on heck of a filter for the few oz of pellets I threw in.

I used 24oz of whole hops in a 10 gallon batch of APA. Since these were homegrown hops I estimated the alpha acid at 70% of normal. The chute had plenty of room.

Cleaning was easy.....hose and a quick soak in Starsan (overkill but it's what I do).

The parts for the chute can be purchased at Ulmer's Dairy supply in WI. Look under....- Cheese Molds -

I'm building another version using a 7in x 8in tube....welding three together. It leaves aprox 3-4 inches from the bottom of the keggle.

Overall, the chute works great. Is it better than a spider stainer bag? Probably not but it's shiny! :)

Brew on!

The hop chute is very easy to clean. Takes 30 seconds to spray down.

I've since built a larger version to accomodate more whole leaf hops in the brew. The wider model also doubles as the holder for the nylon bag when using pellet hops.

- Pellet hops find their way through the holes very easy.

- Whole leaf hops and wet hops are a perfect match for the device

Back