Hop Bursting Schedule Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I have heard JZ speak of hop bursting, the adding of most of the bittering near the end of the boil. I am brewing an IPA and wondered if this type of hop schedule would be suitable.

I would usually use Magnum as the bittering hop and I have a ton of Cascades at 5% AA. Could or should I go all Cascade? Any suggestions?

Two great articles to read about Hop Bursting

http://www.britishbrewer.com/2010/03/hop-bursting/

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

I really like doing a FWH with hop bursting. Most believe that a FWH not only gives smoother bitterness but a flavor addition similar to a 20 minute add. Combined with bursting I think it comes out really well for strong flavors and aromas without the bite.

The Mr Malty artcle is very interesting. I'm about to do a couple Pale Ales and and IPA. I'll try the late additions on one.

I've done a medium-gravity "hop burst" pale ale with 3-3.5 oz of Amarillo (per 5 gal) all at 15 minutes to go in the boil, no bittering hops. I definitely say the flavor and aroma was superb with a smooth bitterness (~30-35 IBU). To bump mine up to an IPA, I'd add some bittering hops at 60 min to boost the IBUs.

I actually brewed the Evil Twin recipe that Jamil lists there and it came out quite well. The utilization calculations on the British Brewer link are helpful.

I wondering about a mixture of both traditional and hop bursting myself. Here's what I am considering.

.5oz Magnum 13% @ 60 = 29.2 IBU
2oz Cascade 5% @ 15 = 22.5 IBU
1oz Cascade 5% @ 5 = 9 IBU
1oz Cascade 5% @ Flame Out
3oz Cascade 5% @ Dry Hop
Total of 60 IBU

I just brewed a IIPA this weekend and used a traditional/hop bursting schedule. I wanted to get ~1/2 of my bitterness from the 60 min addition and the rest from late hops.

In a 3 gallon batch (wound up with closer to 2 gallons with absorption) I used:
-1oz Warrior at 60
-0.5oz Citra, 0.5oz Amarillo, 0.5oz Columbus at 20 min
-0.5oz Citra, 0.5oz Amarillo, 0.5oz Columbus at 10 min
-0.5oz Citra, 0.5oz Amarillo, 0.5oz Columbus at 0 min

And also the same amounts for dry hopping. The smell was incredible, but I won't know anything about the bitterness for a few weeks. Hopefully it attenuates enough.

Back