Hop Bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but does everyone use bags for their hops? It seems like that could get expensive when you have two or three different hop additions at varying intervals. I ask because the LHBS I usually use includes two bags, one for bittering hops and one for the flavoring hops. I might add that I usually brew simple extract kits. However, I just got three Northern Brewer extract kits today, and the hops do not have any hop bags, unless they are in bags inside the packaging. If you don't use hop bags, do you simply just strain the wort when pouring to primary?

I throw my hops directly in the kettle as I boil, though I do use a "chad" filter (www.arborfab.com), post chill, to get the hop debris out. I recirculate while chilling, and when done, I just run the flow through the filter to catch the gunk.

The only time I use hop bags are for adding dry hops to my keg.

I really only use hop socks when I'm dry hopping. Otherwise I just pour my wort through a strainer as I'm pouring it into the primary fermenter and stop pouring once I start getting to trub layer at the bottom of the brew kettle/chilling vessel.

I always use hop bags - muslin for whole cones and nylon for pellets - because plugging up my plate chiller would be an epic pita. One of these days I'll spring for one of those sweet looking stainless mesh hop spiders but in the mean time it's bags.

Expensive? I've been reusing bags for years. I'd show you one old timer nylon bag that's nearly black (I'm guessing it's at least five years old) but I don't want anyone to lose their dinner...

Cheers! ;)

I reuse mine also, it's a neon looking green lol

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This may be a dumb question, but does everyone use bags for their hops? It seems like that could get expensive when you have two or three different hop additions at varying intervals. I ask because the LHBS I usually use includes two bags, one for bittering hops and one for the flavoring hops. I might add that I usually brew simple extract kits. However, I just got three Northern Brewer extract kits today, and the hops do not have any hop bags, unless they are in bags inside the packaging. If you don't use hop bags, do you simply just strain the wort when pouring to primary?

I use hop/grain bags only for dry hopping myself, they're fairly convenient and a lot easier than trying to filter out the hops after the dry hopping; at the end you just chuck them. For the boil I just toss the hops directly in, but then I generally don't use leaf hops in the boil while I do use leaf hops for dry hopping.

I let 'em swim free:D. Seems to me I get better flavor and utilization by doing that. Your results may vary. I whirpool, but I also don't worry about hops that get in the fermenter since they settle out anyway. I do use a hop sac when hops bursting some of my beers.

I use them and reuse them. I want to go to a hop spider though. I think you get better hop utilization without the bags, just toss 'em in. I was finding I was losing a lot of wort without the bags. Straining the trub is a pain. I'm just too lazy and impatient for that.

I use hop bags for each hop addition. Looked at in context of the other expenses of brewing they are not at all expensive. I think I paid around 60 cents each for the bags. I could have 100 of them and be less than half of what I spent for my kettle alone.

I throw my hops directly in the kettle as I boil, though I do use a "chad" filter (www.arborfab.com), post chill, to get the hop debris out. I recirculate while chilling, and when done, I just run the flow through the filter to catch the gunk.

The only time I use hop bags are for adding dry hops to my keg.

+++1 on "Chad" filters. I use one in my BK & one in my secondary BB for dry hopping. They work very well & cleanup is easy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

no need no stink'in hop sac . . .

Hop Screen 6.jpg

If I am doing a bunch of additions I use a BIAB bag that I tie loosely to one of the pot handles. For each addition I open it up and chuck the hops in then loop the end around the handle again. Kinda a poor man's hop spider.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

+++1 on "Chad" filters. I use one in my BK & one in my secondary BB for dry hopping. They work very well & cleanup is easy as well.

Can someone provide a link? I see several filters on the site. Nothing jumps out at me as being a "chad" filter.

I use bags. I have found when I add it without it tastes off. Use a hop spider or reuse bags or a as hop ball. I never put a bag in secondary. Just drop the pellets in.

Just another tool with pros and cons that some folks use religiously, and others never do. They are certainly a low tech, inexpensive solution to controlling hop debris. They're a good place to start in your search for what works for you, and for many, where the search ends ...

Back