Hop Additions, Bitterness and the Whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferventbrewer

Reaction score
I just bought a whirlpool arm and pump and did my first whirlpool making an IPA.

I tasted the beer last night and it's extremely bitter, to the point where you can't really pick out any pleasant hoppiness, only bitterness.

I planned the recipe will all late hop additions + whirlpool additions.

I used beersmith to create the recipe which (after checking after the fact) doesn't take into account whirlpool time for hops added during the boil.

Hop Schedule

Boil:
20min 1.5oz 7% AA Cascade
20min 1oz 12.5% AA Chinook
5min 1oz 7% AA Cascade

Whirlpool (30 minutes):
1oz 7% AA Cascade
0.5oz 12.5% Chinook
0.5oz 13% Simcoe

Beersmith gave me a 45 IBUs for the recipe with this hop schedule. If I adjust the recipe for the boil additions to account for the whirlpool time the IBUs are more like 76. I don't know how accurate that will be given the temperature drop during the whirlpool and the boil addition hops but I expect this is what went wrong with my beer.

How do you all deal with boil additions and whirlpool time?

Is there a calculation for figuring out IBUs of hops added during the boil that carry into the whirlpool?

76 IBUs is a little high for a 6.5% ABV IPA but I wouldn't expect it to be the bitterness bomb that it is, could there be another problem?

A 5 gallon batch.

Also I just realized that beersmith expects you to calculate the boil hop addition time with whirlpool time added in.

Thanks for the links.

Latest posts

Back