Honeywell Y8610U6006 Gas Valve Intermittent Pilot Retrofit Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought this low pressure (liquid gas or liquid propane) convertible valve. Installed it wired it to the servo bought the pilot and put it all together on my brew rig. Although it was not easy, but I did all the wiring and connections, and I used an adjustable regulator on my propane tank to dial down the pressure. when testing the valve and the automation circuit, things seem to be working but the burner is not catching on enough fire. The pilot takes of, and in 4 seconds the valve ticks (clicks) opening the main valve to the burner, then the burner gets the smallest fire there is (barely a sheen of fire only). I was told this is normal because my burner is high pressure (a 10" classic Bayou banjo) and all I need to do is (after the burner catch on fire) crank the regulator's pressure up out of the propane tank. However, when I do that (@2 PSI) things go well for few seconds and then the flame disappear and get sucked to inside the burner and the pilot flame become very big, see video attached.

View attachment IMG_3412.MOV

Last edited by a moderator:
You were using a BG-14 burner - with a high-pressure orifice - downstream of a valve that expects roughly .4 psi on its input. I don't know if that valve won't simply shut down if you turn up the gas once the burner more or less ignites. I've read of lots of folks that found the valve was unreliable with a higher-than-spec'd input gas pressure.

Anyway, the video shows fire in the venturi bell. Bad juju.

fwiw, Williams Brewing (among others) sell a replacement low-pressure burner orifice (with an integrated needle valve, which can be handy) for those "big banjo" burners (as found on Bayou Classic KAB4 and KAB6 cookers, as well as the Blichmann "floor burner")...

Cheers!

The orifice size on the natural gas 23 tip burner is the wrong size(hole in the brass tip). It will not adjust well, and if you want to automate with a Honeywell gas valve it will not work... Ask me how I know... Replacing the tips is about the same price as new burners. Once I got the correct burners everything worked perfectly. But as stated above the the video is of bg14 not wok burner.
I now have an extra set of burners in case I ever move to NG

The orifice size on the natural gas 23 tip burner is the wrong size(hole in the brass tip). It will not adjust well, and if you want to automate with a Honeywell gas valve it will not work... Ask me how I know... Replacing the tips is about the same price as new burners. Once I got the correct burners everything worked perfectly. But as stated above the the video is of bg14 not wok burner.
I now have an extra set of burners in case I ever move to NG

Bryggeri,
so what burner should I buy to be able to use for liquid propane at low pressure?

Thanks

you can pick up the Chinese 23 tip burners on Amazon or eBay, just make sure the say propane or lpg.
I run a bbq low pressure regulator with no adjustment, to Honeywell control valves then post valve run a manual shut off valve as a throttle, the Honeywell gas to the burner has a low pressure sensor that shuts down in cae of a leak or over pressure, that is why control with a needle valve at the tank is problematic. Throttling must be done after the Honeywell gas valve.
BTW the 23 tip is a bit over kill even for my tippy dump 20 gallon system, but it is nice to be able to have more heat if it is cold or breezy. Highly!! Recommend the thread gas and temp control for dummies, it will save you a lot of frustration and the system works well, currently I am using manual switches and I am now working on a beagle bone controller . Good luck

Back