Honey wheat pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_rouse

Reaction score
Tomorrow i'm throwing together a kind of "kitchen sink" recipe with all my leftovers from other batches it should come out as a honey wheat pale ale. I'm unsure with the hopping schedule so any advice would be appreciated. Also if someone has beersmith is there a way to guess O.G.?

-Grains-
14 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Weyermann Pale Wheat malt
8oz carapils
8oz Caramel 60

-Hops-
2 oz Amarillo
1 oz German Tettnang
.5 oz

-Other-
3 lbs honey (during whirlpool)
This is for a 10 gal recipe

Any thoughts?

There's a way to calculate OG if you know your efficiency. For 75% efficiency and 10.5 gal post boil it's about 1.060. I think you're going to have to bitter with most of your amarillo depending on AA%. I'd throw the tettnang in around 5 min. Is that a half ounce of something else at the end of the list?

That's a half oz of Columbus sorry don't know why I didn't type it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That helps, you can bitter with columbus and not waste the amarillo. Seems like a lot of honey though, at 14% i'd worry about it drying it out too much and becoming thin. I'd drop that in half and do a hop schedule something like below. That should get you around 1.055 and 30 IBU's depending on your exact volumes and AA's. I haven't used that combo of hops but I have done a version of houblon monstre with amarillo and saaz that was nice.

0.5 columbus 60 min
1 oz Amarillo 15 min
0.5 Tettnang 15 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
0.5 oz Tettnang 5 min

Well during my first sparge (due to size of my HLT) I had a busted water pipe so this beer is now a IIPA with a
O.G of 1.082 I followed that hopping schedule except I added an extra 1/2 oz of Columbus at 30 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back