Honey instead of Dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madkins

Reaction score
I recently brewed 10 gal of dubbel which I wanted to bottle condition. After primary I didn't have enough bottles for all 10 gal, so I bottled 5 gal with dextrose as the priming sugar. Now that I have more bottles I am ready to bottle the remaining 5 gal, but, here's the question, if I was to use honey instead of dextrose, how much would I use and what would be the difference from dextrose in taste, clarity etc?

-Salute
Mike

When fermenting honey the yeast is unable to convert all the sugar to alc so you end up leaving your beer with a bit of a sweeter honey flavor. At this point when just using for priming I doubt it will have a huge effect but you might be surprised with a light hint of honey in the finished product. Clarity should end up the same as dextrose provided you let them sit long enough.

As far as quantity I have no solid answer... If I were you I'd probably go by weight and use 50% more weight of honey than you would have otherwise used for dextrose.

Cheers!

You have to make sure the honey is heated to denature the enzymes. If raw honey is used the enzymes will break down complex sugars and you will end up with very dry and very carbonated beer.

With a good batch of Dubble a solid bet is just simple sugar. Might be a fun experiment though.

BTW honey is highly fermentable and will lend very little sweetness to your fine batch of Belgian Dubble.

Thanks for the response. I am curious what honey will do, so as mentioned, I think it will be a fun experiment. Good thing I had enough to bottle 5 gal already in case the honey experiment doesn't work out.

Oh, the Beer Recipator calculator is great! Thanks!

Back