Homemade PBW Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There never was. It was banned quickly before the algae bloom conjecture was exposed as conjecture.

Algae bloom is conjecture?!? Well, I see you live in Arizona, so no doubt you are an expert. Maybe I should send you a cup so you can experience it first hand and write your own circular scientific paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just mixed together a batch of this stuff, I cant wait to try it out! (Is that actually a thing, getting excited for cleaning??)

I got the TSP90 and 7th gen from amazon and the oxo brite from costco.com (added like $1.80 since Im not a member).

Total cost = $55.47 for ~19lbs coming out to $2.87/lb which DOMINATES the price point for even 50lb buckets of PBW.
If you factor in that I ended up getting a two pack of 7th gen (150oz) and only used %77 percent of the OXO the cost of what I USED was $42.42 coming out to $2.20/lb!!!!

My only minimal concern is that I used a tupperware tote lined with a garbage bag to "mix" and shake the powders, but since they are all white(ish) I have no validation of how evenly I mixed the ingredients...
Also watch out for the dust that envelops you when pouring and mixing these powders. Though it didnt feel to great at least I know my eyes and lungs are clean now, right?

I just mixed up a batch of this stuff

I cheaped out on the TSP 90 - only put in half this time, but it's the same recipe I used last time except I added the 7th Gen to it. It suds more than TSP-90 and Oxy Clean only but seems to work better.

I did six pounds of Oxy Clean Free, two pounds of TSP-90, and 45oz of 7th Gen Dishwasher Detergent.

I've used that recipe a few times, and only problems with Ive had with foaming is in my keg washer, to solve the problem, I just add several drops of hot tub defoamer and it knocks the foam down to a manageable foaminess. Otherwise it works great.

I made a batch, seems to work fine. It foams a lot though and the foam runoff marked the rubber on a corny keg. I'll have to be more careful to wash it off promptly next time.

Made a batch up per the original recipie and used it recently; works great!!:D
I reused some after cleaning a secondary and put it through my coffee maker. It work a ton better than vinegar...

Great job you guys!

Don

I've noticed that colder water causes foaming. Conversely hotter water reduces it. In my keg washer I use 150 deg. water with minimal foaming.

I just bought the ingredients to make this and was reading the TSP 90 label. And in big bold letters it says to avoid using this on glass! So don't clean my carboys with PBW or home made PBW then? Maybe I should just stick with plain oxyclean?

I have used the homemade mix on glass with no problem. I am not sure, but I think that warning is in place because TSP is usually used as a no-rinse surface cleaner. In that application, it will leave film on glass. A PBW-style soak & rinse seems to be a different kettle of fish.

I would test it first though, and definitely be careful about letting this cleaner dry out on any surface.

First of all, great thread! I made my way through all of it over a few days while sourcing the ingredients. I live up in northern Alberta in Canada, 95% of my brewing supplies come from ontariobeerkegs.com because it is far more economical then my LHBS. This recipe was definitely the way to go, in town my LHBS was selling a 1 pound container of pbw for 22.50cad. Ahhhhh! A 50 pound pail shipped from Ontario would have cost about 6 dollars a pound after shipping. This recipe cost me about 2.15cad.

It seems to clean quite well compared to the oxiclean I was using before. My water is fairly hard, so I was constantly getting a calcium film on anything I has soaking in oxiclean solution. With this recipe, I am finding that there is white fluffy material that is floating around once the solution is cool. I assume this is calcium that precipitated out of solution, has anyone else experienced this? I don't think it is a big deal, everything easily rinses clean but it was definitely a bit of a surprise to find.

Thanks to this solution, I managed to revive 3 nasty nasty old corny kegs! I'm sold!

I have used the homemade mix on glass with no problem. I am not sure, but I think that warning is in place because TSP is usually used as a no-rinse surface cleaner. In that application, it will leave film on glass. A PBW-style soak & rinse seems to be a different kettle of fish.

I would test it first though, and definitely be careful about letting this cleaner dry out on any surface.

If you look online you will read that TSP90 can etch glass. But it might depend how strongly it is diluted with water.

I just wanted to thank whoever came up with this recipe. I just used it on a fermenter, left it overnight with 122 degree water and it came out cleaner than when I use PBW.

Thanks again.

Home Select Oxi-All .. 14 ounces for a buck.

For any of you that live in the sublime sunny south and have a Harvey's grocery, check the dollar section. Unscented, 14 oz $1. Home Select may be in other stores as well .. food lion, the pig, winny's .. I'm not sure. It is available online at 'Homeland' but a buck and a quarter plus shipping

Finally getting around to putting this together.

Currently on Amazon the 4lb DAP TSP is $11.66.

The 45oz Subscribe and Save Seventh Generation Dishwashing powder detergent is $5.55. I may be able to get that for 15% off adding it to the rest of my stuff.

I also need to make a trip to the dollar store to get some of the 'free' oxygen cleaner. Not sure how much that is yet.

What's the ratio that you all are using?

I just bought 5lbs of actual PBW for $20. Some buddies went in on a whole bunch of it so it was cheaper.

96 ounces of Sun Cleaner
35.5 TSP
39oz of Seventh Generation dish washer powder

Is this correct?

I use 96 ounces OXO (Sun Cleaner)
64 ounces of TSP/90 (red devil)
40 ounces Seventh Gen (auto dish soap powder free & clear)

Everything is avail. on Amazon if you use "Prime" it's not bad. The free and clear OXO clean on amazon is only 57.6 ounces, so I reduced my last batch to match that and came up with:

57.6 ounces OXO clean (full container)
38.4 ounces TSP/90 (Red Devil)
24 ounces of Seventh Generation

That makes up 7.5 pounds of powder, and you still have TSP/90 and Seventh Gen remaining for next batch.

-Tom

96 ounces of Sun Cleaner
35.5 TSP
39oz of Seventh Generation dish washer powder

Is this correct?

Like I said earlier in the thread, I follow this recipe exactly and have always had great results. That's...

96 oz of Oxygen cleaner (OXO cleaner from Costco)
64 oz of Red Devil TSP/90 (Ace Hardware)
40 oz of Seventh Generation Powdered Dishwashing Detergent (Amazon/soap.com)

Like I said earlier in the thread, I follow this recipe exactly and have always had great results. That's...

96 oz of Oxygen cleaner (OXO cleaner from Costco)
64 oz of Red Devil TSP/90 (Ace Hardware)
40 oz of Seventh Generation Powdered Dishwashing Detergent (Amazon/soap.com)

To me this table does not say what you just posted. I guess I'm not seeing these numbers you posted in this reply match the table.

I use 96 ounces OXO (Sun Cleaner)
64 ounces of TSP/90 (red devil)
40 ounces Seventh Gen (auto dish soap powder free & clear)

Everything is avail. on Amazon if you use "Prime" it's not bad. The free and clear OXO clean on amazon is only 57.6 ounces, so I reduced my last batch to match that and came up with:

57.6 ounces OXO clean (full container)
38.4 ounces TSP/90 (Red Devil)
24 ounces of Seventh Generation

That makes up 7.5 pounds of powder, and you still have TSP/90 and Seventh Gen remaining for next batch.

-Tom

Having a hard time finding that oxo cleaner on Amazon. I have a large amount of oxiclean versatile. I wonder if that would do the same thing?

Ended up ordering everything from Amazon and Costco. My local costco only has the Oxiclean Versatile but online you can order a 14lb box of the OXO for $24 shipped.

Altogether it will cost me $2.08lb. It's still half the price of buying PBW bulk.

To me this table does not say what you just posted. I guess I'm not seeing these numbers you posted in this reply match the table.

I believe you are summing the numbers listed next to each sub-ingredient (column 4) vs. just using what it tells you to in parentheses next to each ingredient (column 1).

So you use a 4 lb bag of TSP/90, and that gives you 35.5 oz of Anhydrous Metasilicate.

Hopefully that clears it up!

I believe you are summing the numbers listed next to each sub-ingredient (column 4) vs. just using what it tells you to in parentheses next to each ingredient (column 1).

So you use a 4 lb bag of TSP/90, and that gives you 35.5 oz of Anhydrous Metasilicate.

Hopefully that clears it up!

Yep got it now. Looking forward to trying this stuff out and compare it to the actual PBW.

So decided to make some of this. Didn't get too detailed with ratios, just bought the below and mixed it up as it looked to be pretty close from what I've read in the previous 35 pages. Brewing tomorrow so will give it a try.

2x All Laundry Booster Free & Clear - 3.25 lbs ea = 6.5 lbs - $3.99 ea (Fry's Marketplace)
Savogran TSP - 4.5 lbs - $9.98 (Lowes)
7th Generation - 2.81lbs - $5.49 (Fry's Marketplace)

Total, $23.45 for 13.81lbs of cleaner or $1.69/lb.

Oh and a 2 gallon food safe bucket to store it in from Lowes. :ban::rockin:

20170218_203127.jpg

Yeah based on previous discussion in the thread, TSP should work just as well as the TSP substitute used in actual PBW. I didn't see any of the TSP/90 by Red Devil used at my local Lowes so normal TSP it ended up being. Being in AZ, dumping the waste into the yard is only going to clean the gravel and maybe keep some weeds at bay. :)

For whatever reason, if you're somewhere where tsp hasn't been banned, it's nearly impossible to get the metasilicate. Tsp seems to work just fine. And the fact that it's a food additive that often find in cereal means I'm not worried from a food safety perspective if I don't get every last bit rinsed off.

So decided to make some of this. Didn't get too detailed with ratios, just bought the below and mixed it up as it looked to be pretty close from what I've read in the previous 35 pages. Brewing tomorrow so will give it a try.

2x All Laundry Booster Free & Clear - 3.25 lbs ea = 6.5 lbs - $3.99 ea (Fry's Marketplace)
Savogran TSP - 4.5 lbs - $9.98 (Lowes)
7th Generation - 2.81lbs - $5.49 (Fry's Marketplace)

Total, $23.45 for 13.81lbs of cleaner or $1.69/lb.

Oh and a 2 gallon food safe bucket to store it in from Lowes. :ban::rockin:

You wont regret it.

Back