PBW alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauran910

Reaction score
Hi all

Maybe this has been mentioned before or suggested. After I ran out of my expensive jars of pbw and one step I was looking for a cheap alternative. I think I found it.

Seventh generation dishwasher detergent powder free and clear. I’ve used it for a couple batches. It doesn’t foam so I can use it in my Mark’s keg washer. I use it to soak and clean bottles too. It’s maybe 3$ for 3 lb and works just as well as pbw. It is a powder that dissolves easily and doesn’t foam. It’s also easy to find at most grocery and big box stores.

image.jpg

Last edited:
7th generation free and clear line removes the sodium laurel sulfate which is the common foaming agent found in most soaps, shampoos and detergents. I’m not sure if the anti foaming agents or the enzymes would have any affect on beer, obviously not in your experience, and I suppose if it rinses off well, then why not if you are using it just for cleaning and sanitize separately, like star San

While I spray with star San, I still prefer to clean with an oxy cleaner (sodium per carbonate), be it a label for brewing or generic oxy for two reasons, it’s great and breaking down and removing any organics. Secondly, it does kill bacteria. While oxy isn’t listed as a sanitizer or a sterilizer, it’s often called a disinfectant and the difference between disinfecting and sanitizing is that the latter includes cleaning. Does anyone doubt that it’s not a powerful cleaner? We use it for cleaning. So if it both cleans and disinfects then in my book (and by medical definitions) it is a sanitizer.

I just find that I need just 1gallon of an oxy solution (1tbl) and 2ml of star San (makes 1liter) and I’m good for the entire brew batch (star San lasting maybe 2 batches) I don’t bottle so that cuts down on my cleaner and sanitizer use.

I just find that I need just 1gallon of an oxy solution (1tbl) and 2ml of star San (makes 1liter) and I’m good for the entire brew batch (star San lasting maybe 2 batches) I don’t bottle so that cuts down on my cleaner and sanitizer use.

In any case, This is good to know about 7th generation as a non foaming cleaner. Thanks a for posting.

Many of the early renditions of homemade brewery wash included 7GF&C. The first one I recall was Oxy clean F&C, TSP 90 and 7GF&C. Later a lot of folks seemed to both simplify and reduce cost by going with Generic unscented Oxygen cleaner (2/3) and either TSP or TSP 90 (1/3). TSP 90 is phosphate free .. it's sodium metasilicate. I still have some 7GF&C but I only use it when I have an extraordinarily stubborn ring that doesn't come off in a 4 or 5 hours soak of generic oxy and TSP.

7th generation free and clear line removes the sodium laurel sulfate which is the common foaming agent found in most soaps, shampoos and detergents. I’m not sure if the anti foaming agents or the enzymes would have any affect on beer, obviously not in your experience, and I suppose if it rinses off well, then why not if you are using it just for cleaning and sanitize separately, like star San

While I spray with star San, I still prefer to clean with an oxy cleaner (sodium per carbonate), be it a label for brewing or generic oxy for two reasons, it’s great and breaking down and removing any organics. Secondly, it does kill bacteria. While oxy isn’t listed as a sanitizer or a sterilizer, it’s often called a disinfectant and the difference between disinfecting and sanitizing is that the latter includes cleaning. Does anyone doubt that it’s not a powerful cleaner? We use it for cleaning. So if it both cleans and disinfects then in my book (and by medical definitions) it is a sanitizer.

In any case, This is good to know about 7th generation as a non foaming cleaner. Thanks a for posting.

I rinse well and sanitize. I haven’t noticed any adverse effects on my results. I’ll report back if I do.

Back