Homemade Kegerator - 95% foam right from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackler

Reaction score
Hi,

First timer here. Made a kegerator froma Danby mini fridge. Red Beer forced carbonated at 30PSI. Purged and brought back to 10PSI for pouring.

The beer ia foamy right from the keg to the tap.

The temp at the bottom of the kegerator is about 6 degF lower (~35F) compared to the top of the kegerator (~41F). Is this my problem? Do I need to add a fan to circulate the air in the kegerator?

I can see where this would impact some foam content but not the 95% foam I am seeing directlt from the keg.

Any ideas of what I can try to fix this? I am so anxious to try the beer!

Thanks

Tell us how you force carbed. There is a chance that it is just overcarbed. Also, how long is the beer line between the keg and the faucet.

And yes, circulation always helps. The colder the beer in the beer line, the less foam.

I've never force carbinated but wouldn't the pressure still be at 30 psi in the keg even if the regulator is set at 10 psi? You may need to release some pressure from the keg before getting it back down to your serving pressure.

How long are your serving lines? 10' is ideal in my opinion. REally short lines can cause foaming.

I've never force carbinated but wouldn't the pressure still be at 30 psi in the keg even if the regulator is set at 10 psi? You may need to release some pressure from the keg before getting it back down to your serving pressure.

Umm... not trying to be an a$$ here, but the OP did say they purged the keg. :) I think you may have it nailed on the length of the lines.

Beer forced carbonated at 30PSI.

The temp at the bottom of the kegerator is about 6 degF lower (~35F) compared to the top of the kegerator (~41F).

Both of these are causes, and if your lines are less than about 10', that would add an additional factor.

If the beer is carbonated at 30 psi, it is overcarbed. Overcarbed beer will foam badly, especially when the pressure is turned down as it tries to reach equilibrium.

Temperature changes cause some foaming, as warmer beer foams. If the lines are warmer than the beer, c02 will come out of solution, causing foaming.

If the lines are short, the resistance is too low, and that will create foaming as well.

If all three things of these things are going on, it would create a big foamy mess.

Make sure the lines are clean
Make sure the length of the hose is good
Make sure it's not over carbed
Make sure the beer is cold
Make sure the tap (assuming tower) isn't too warm

Pretty much covers most issues.

Both of these are causes, and if your lines are less than about 10', that would add an additional factor.

If the beer is carbonated at 30 psi, it is overcarbed. Overcarbed beer will foam badly, especially when the pressure is turned down as it tries to reach equilibrium.

Temperature changes cause some foaming, as warmer beer foams. If the lines are warmer than the beer, c02 will come out of solution, causing foaming.

If the lines are short, the resistance is too low, and that will create foaming as well.

If all three things of these things are going on, it would create a big foamy mess.

What Yooper said. :) I really respect Yooper... she's got a lot of experience.

Back