Homemade keg box using minifridge parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bewbzout

Reaction score
Like the title says i would like to build a insulated box in place of a chest freezer because i cannot find one big/cheap enough. I have 2 mini fridges that are not doing anything and just wondering if i can use the internals to keep the box cool? I dont know anything about how fridges work and thats why im asking you guys. I would like to build a box that will hold 6-8 corny's but im wondering if the minifridge parts will cool something that big. I have read where some guys have made fermentation chambers but i am assuming thats a different ball game. Another reason i would like to do this is because if i bought a chest freezer i would want to build a coffin for it anyway, so i figured i could knock 2 birds out with one stone. Any help is appreciated. Thanks -Josh

I've seen some pretty amazing things here done with tiny fridges. What I haven't read is how efficient they are. One has to expect something designed to cool a couple/few cubic feet of space must be working considerably harder dealing with multiples of that volume.

fwiw, just for grins I checked out Craig's List for Salem, Oregon. 20 seconds in and I spotted a 15 cubic foot chest freezer for $100.
http://salem.craigslist.org/app/2628803787.html

I fit 6 ball locks in my 10cf keezer - without a collar. I'm guessing that 15cf would fit at least another pair. It would surely make for an easier solution...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back