homemade ice cream?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, it's been about 3-4 years since i last made homemade ice cream, but i finally made some earlier tonight. just a regular vanilla. might make some more later this week. :D

Dreamsicle Ice Cream

1 pint of heavy cream
1 cup of milk (any kind)
2 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Scald the milk and cream (heat gently til a skin forms). Mix the eggs and sugar in some kind of a large heatproof bowl (mine is a metal mixing bowl). Stir the hot cream very gradually into the eggs and sugar so they don't scramble.

Put the heatproof bowl with the mixture over a sauce pan with simmering water. Stir constantly until the mixture is steaming and you feel reasonably certain that raw egg problems have been averted. Somebody probably knows what temperature this has to reach; if you're that kind, look it up. Chill this base mixture til cold. If it got lumpy in spite of all your efforts, strain it.

For the Dreamsicle (orange vanilla) flavor, stir in 6 ounces of orange juice concentrate and 1 tsp vanilla. Freeze per your mixer's directions.

This is also most excellent with pineapple juice concentrate. I plan to try it soon with limeade for a Green River Vanilla.

The only reason to scald the milk/cream (in case you're interested) is that it cuts 15 or more minutes off the cooking and stirring time for the custard. And if you're not worried about raw eggs, you don't have to cook it at all. But it does make for a nice silky texture.

Yes! I've been making ice cream for years and have tried everything from frozen custard to Philadelphia style.

Some of my favorite flavors are Pumpkin Pie, Pistachio, Strawberry Cream, and Nutella Gelato (*amazing,* but you can really only eat a small scoop at a time.)

My currrent favorite is a throwback to my childhood in Brooklyn. It's called Creamalata (not sure if that's spelled right). There are two versions. The first makes something more akin to an Italian Ice:

5 cups almond milk
3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (to taste)
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
1-2 tsp Almond extract (to taste).

Heat to the almond milk and sugar. Temper in the egg (custard style, though don't expect this to become a custard. It won't.) Take off heat and refrigerate over night. Next day add extracts and pinch of salt. Freeze in your ice cream maker.

The other version is a creamier one, and it is more like ice cream, however a tiny bit icy (which is preferred). This is the version most of my family prefers.

3 cups almond milk
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (to taste)
1-2 tsp Almond extract (to taste)
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract (to bring out other flavors)
pinch of salt

Whisk almond milk and sugar together until sugar dissolves. (Alternately, you can heat it like previous recipe, but then you have to refrigerate over night). Add cream, extracts, and salt. Freeze in ice cream maker.

I like to make candied almonds to put in the ice cream. you can make your favorite recipe of candied almonds, though I'd suggest only putting slivered *in* the ice cream, and save whole almonds to put on top. I also prefer the larger amount of almond extract, and sometimes even go as high as 3 tsp. I do somewhere in between 3/4 and 1 cup of sugar.

Back