Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some wurzelbrot from this morning. wholemeal sourdough levain then pizza flour and yeast in the main dough

CmecYKC.jpg

Hopefully these two pics come through. Whats left of this weeks sourdough and the next loaf all ready for bulk ferment.

Made 8 boules with a little drier dough. It was heavier, toothier, and firmer but not that entirely different. What does dry vs wet dough mean? I wonder how wet is too wet. Ran out of flour and have a wetter dough. What do i do with wet dough? Dump it into bread tin? Thanks

I think focaccia and caibatta are normally made with wetter dough. Bread pan work too, but even in a pan I think you can be too wet but I have never tried it where I could not kneed the dough.

Well i made a pizza with it and it was so wet that i spread it with a spatula. Came out surprisingly somewhat normal.

Apparently the kids eat the heck out of this in the morning. Funny i never really eat it. Had a piece today and its pretty good. Third cup white sugar, 1 and a half teaspoons of saigon cinnamon. The ws gold pan rose higher and seemed a little darker than cheap steel pan, but both work. The ws is the taller.
20180808_153100.jpg
20180808_102441.jpg
20180808_102347.jpg
20180808_102436.jpg

When i dump the dough bucket out it looks like this. A perfect circular shape of air. Its 4ish pounds of dough i think, made with 7cups of flour. Anyone know what would happen if i just plopped it on parchment and baked it? It looks like really holy swiss cheese in bucket. Never seems to translate.
20180805_100512.jpg

When i dump the dough bucket out it looks like this. A perfect circular shape of air. Its 4ish pounds of dough i think, made with 7cups of flour. Anyone know what would happen if i just plopped it on parchment and baked it? It looks like really holy swiss cheese in bucket. Never seems to translate.View attachment 582979
No knead to ask. ;-) Just do it and let us know how it comes out. Maybe divide it and shape it a bit.

Haha thats punny. Not a bad idea, but I don't have too much time to experiment and we need this because the kids eat a lot of sandwiches. Was hoping to get some advice anybody who's tried it also I don't want to lose those air holes by shaping. Maybe you are right though drop it on to some flour shape just a little and slash it

First week of cooler temps here signals bread baking season is getting close. Anyone else getting excited???!?

Apparently the kids eat the heck out of this in the morning. Funny i never really eat it. Had a piece today and its pretty good. Third cup white sugar, 1 and a half teaspoons of saigon cinnamon. The ws gold pan rose higher and seemed a little darker than cheap steel pan, but both work. The ws is the taller.

Do you mind sharing the recipe and what not? I think my kids would enjoy it too. I really need and want to make some bread. Thanks!

Sure! Its the 5 minute artesian bread recipe, with 1/3 cupsugar and 1.5 tsp cinnamon. Bread is 6.5 c flour
3 c water
1 tbl salt
1 tbl yeast
Can be halved. Not the most glamorous but it gets the job done for starters. The salt is ok enough for versatility.

98ish deg water in bucket, tbl salt, tbl yeast, 6.5 c flour more or less. You want it wetter. Wood spoon, stir, sides and bottom. Hole in lid or slightly open for gas escape. Done. Let sit 2 or more hours. Refrigerate good for 2 weeks.

Cinnamon bread
Halve recipe or dough amount per loaf pan. Size dependent. Roll idk 12" by 14". Spread mix of 1/3 sugar and 1.5 tsp cinnamon, evenly, edge to edge over it. Roll it tightly ;). Short side i am rolling from now. I pull ends square a little as i work up the roll. Fold ends under to pan size. Put on parchment in pan. I have been baking at 450 until 190 ish in middle. Because of sugar, i might experiment with different times. Foil top in middle of bake to control top crispness. It is pretty good. Thanks for asking and feel free to ask more or someone else chime in. It wont win any awards, but it will keep the family fed with simple, known, ingredients.

Last edited:
When i dump the dough bucket out it looks like this. A perfect circular shape of air. Its 4ish pounds of dough i think, made with 7cups of flour. Anyone know what would happen if i just plopped it on parchment and baked it? It looks like really holy swiss cheese in bucket. Never seems to translate.View attachment 582979

I think that would make an awesome loaf just like that! I'd just drop it on a hot stone and let it bake

I don't think you'll get much rise because there's not enough tension across the top. The holes would all let the steam escape quickly before it rises. I THINK.

I don't think you'll get much rise because there's not enough tension across the top. The holes would all let the steam escape quickly before it rises. I THINK.

Probably would rise ok but certainly wouldn't get a nice dome shape. More likely a disc. Would also look very weird with all the bubbles on the surface.

I typically use leftover whey from cheese making for my water base and if I don't use my mother sponge I make a sponge the night before for use.
Here is my question...had anyone use leftover yeast harvested from a beer batch or some yeasted beer taken from a gravity sample in bread making?
My breads made with whey usually have a much nuttier profile and a really great chewy sponge. I am sure using fermenting beer or leftover yeast would yeild very interesting results.

Attachments

• IMG_20181008_094055460.jpg
    IMG_20181008_094055460.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
Those sound great and they look great. I know you are speaking english, but I wish I could understand it more. Need to google some of those terms. I've been using all my dough to make pizza.

Could you guys help me with rolls it seems like everytime I make them I make biscuits.

Those sound great and they look great. I know you are speaking english, but I wish I could understand it more. Need to google some of those terms. I've been using all my dough to make pizza.

Could you guys help me with rolls it seems like everytime I make them I make biscuits.

Do you mean they are flat?

Bakers been a bit quiet?

Some rolls I made for packed lunches. Large wholemeal spelt and stoneground rye sourdough levain, main dough with 00 wheat flour and lots of idy to proof/cook in a couple of hours. Also had butter, honey and barley malt.
View attachment 594322
Your breads look wonderful!
Yes, I've been quite since it is too warm to fire up the oven! I was tempted to put the AC on yesterday. But in anticipation of fall temperatures I am waking up the sourdough starter.

I think you sometimes have to adjust the cooking time, because the inside of a small loaf might get done faster, so the crust isn't brown before the inside is dry. Maybe for rolls, the heat should be up a little bit? I have had success with doing rolls at 425 for 10 minutes and 400 for 20 minutes. Depends on the recipe, but it sounds like yours might be drying out too much.

Back