Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooking in a Dutch oven at 450 for the first 20 then 400 after. The starter was not quite ready. Another trial tomorrow. I've been through almost a bag of flour this weekend

Cooking in a Dutch oven at 450 for the first 20 then 400 after. The starter was not quite ready. Another trial tomorrow. I've been through almost a bag of flour this weekend

I've yet to try using a dutch oven, been meaning to. Have you used a dutch oven before?
I have some dough going on the back porch for tomorrow.

I've yet to try using a dutch oven, been meaning to. Have you used a dutch oven before?

I have some dough going on the back porch for tomorrow.

No, I had not used it before.... It was a Christmas gift from my awesome dad. Today's dough looks a lot better so we will see. Trial number two coming up.

The last loaf I made in the dutch oven. I forgot to turn the heat down when I took the lid off. It got a little toasted on the bottom.

I'm still having issues making bread. It's funny how simple, yet complicated it is. Change one ingredient and walla flat bread. So I'm pretty sure it's the flour I've been using. I thought I'd see what you all have to say. I guess it could be my starter but I have a feeling its fine.

So I bought some all purpose flour to feed my starter. Anyhow I've been attempting to use that to make bread till I can get out to the store. I'm guessing it doesn't have much gluten in it. I kneaded the crap out of it, and the loafs looked great. I did my normal wait for it to double and it never happened. The dough actually seemed over proofed.

I've tried the floating starter trick but have yet to have it work. I use a spoon and slowly try to make it float. It almost does, but it alway falls to the bottom. I'm thinking the hydration level of the starter could have a lot to do with this not working.

Any advice?

No, I had not used it before.... It was a Christmas gift from my awesome dad. Today's dough looks a lot better so we will see. Trial number two coming up.
Sounds like a learning curve, good luck:D
The last loaf I made in the dutch oven. I forgot to turn the heat down when I took the lid off. It got a little toasted on the bottom.

I'm still having issues making bread. It's funny how simple, yet complicated it is. Change one ingredient and walla flat bread. So I'm pretty sure it's the flour I've been using. I thought I'd see what you all have to say. I guess it could be my starter but I have a feeling its fine.

So I bought some all purpose flour to feed my starter. Anyhow I've been attempting to use that to make bread till I can get out to the store. I'm guessing it doesn't have much gluten in it. I kneaded the crap out of it, and the loafs looked great. I did my normal wait for it to double and it never happened. The dough actually seemed over proofed.

I've tried the floating starter trick but have yet to have it work. I use a spoon and slowly try to make it float. It almost does, but it alway falls to the bottom. I'm thinking the hydration level of the starter could have a lot to do with this not working.

Any advice?

Not sure what I could tell you, I go mostly by sight and feel, never tried AP flour. I use King Auther's bread flour and will get a higher rise on the rare times I go 100% white, usually use rye and whole wheat but at no particular percentage.
Oven heating up at the moment:rockin:

Todays loaf, fresh out of the oven,

IMG_5594.jpg

Yeah I bake by feel. I was sure the dough looked and felt great. I never saw a rise in the proof. maybe halved, but not doubled. I waited and waited. I reformed it and it felt like there wasn't much of anything to hold it together. Like a all bran loaf. I baked it anyhow. little to no rise. Only variables were the new starter and the flour.

I'll try different flour. Hopefully that's it.

How come my attempts at french bread always turns out so dense? I mean they are delicious and all, but really kind of like bricks.

I've never done French bread, but my problem with dense bread was related to the rise. I didn't let the bread rise enough and rushed the process.

I gotta get another set of French & italian loaf pans. I used to make braided loaves in them. You have to make sure you're not using too much dough in each one before the second rise. They tend to get denser that way.

I've been wanting to make a sourdough starter for years. I finally made one back in November and love it. I shared the starter with my brother in Connecticut and my mother here in Wisconsin. All three of us have been experimenting but we weren't getting the exact results we were hoping for.

Then I stumbled across this thread. There was a link to a video that showed how to work with 70% hydration dough. It was exactly what I needed to see. Made my second loaf tonight with the use of a Dutch oven and it turned out spectacular.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422245143.106038.jpg

I ordered a banneton with a liner tonight and I am looking forward to using it. My plan is to try some higher hydration loaves until I find my ideal sourdough recipe. Then I will start learning how to do baguettes with the same starter.

I want to say thanks to all of you who have posted so far. I plan on being a regular contributor to this thread.

Following the Tartine method. My starter responded beautifully over a week of steady feeding after months of mostly neglect. Easily the best bread I've ever made. The wife, who supposedly hates sourdough, even gives it a thumbs up.

View attachment 254784
View attachment 254785

Nice looking loaf, can almost smell it;)
Luckily I have some dough souring, baking tomorrow or Monday.

I cant remember how I found this guy's site, but the recipe I used for this loaf comes from here:

http://www.theperfectloaf.com/walnut-cranberry-sourdough/

The dough is 100% hydration and seemed very wet, but was manageable in the end following bulk fermentation with some bench flour. The recipe follows the tartine method in part, though it calls for more levain that I am used to using. I did not use the walnut oil that the recipe calls for.

I did an overnight proof, which seems to really help with the flavor. I followed the temperature recommendations, though I pulled my loaf 15 minutes earlier than the recipe calls for and am very glad I did.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

man some good looking bread guys.. I haven't baked in a few weeks, been far too busy. Time to start gearing up the starter

What makes my loaves flatten out too much? It rose great the first rise, I punched it down, covered it. Then barely anything the second rising. Still delicious though.

Back