Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bread recipe that calls for 5 grams of Amylase. I don't have it on hand and my LHBS doesn't stock it. I was thinking I could finely grind some 2-row in my flour mill, maybe sift it, and then sub that for part of white flour. Not sure how much to use. Any ideas?

Breiss's malt specs indicates that alpha amylase is 55. Not sure what this means.

Sourdough.

:rockin::rockin:

I haven't woken round 2 up yet, I'm waiting for it to cool down a little around here. When I do I'll probably dry a bunch of it straight away for the next time I kill it. Those rolls got some really nice pop to them. What was the hydration %?

This is the recipe that I used except about a third white whole wheat and some stout wort on the second batch, done it several times with great results
.http://www.sourdoughhome.com/index.php?content=kaiserrolls
And shaped the old fashion way.

That's the recipe I use. I've had good luck with it in the past. Oh what i would give, for a few hours to bake some bread. Especially since the weather is getting cooler. Soon...:(

My Kaiser rolls were an aesthetic (sp?) disaster. Flat and not baked through. I have checked oven temp, maybe I misunderstood recipe (the link above) it called for 15 minutes of baking and turning the rolls half way through. Most likely, my sourdough starter was tired (I did add 1/8 tsp instant yeast), and/or I did not let it rest long enough to rise (this is what I think my big mistake was), and/or I made the dough too dry so that I could work with it. They tasted great, I liked the sourness. Will try again.

How do you make sourdough? Is there something you add to regular bakers yeast to make it sour?

No, it's a mix of wild yeast and bacteria, lactobacillus is the main sourer, I haven't bought store yeast in at least 10 years and have kept a sourdough culture for at least 15, it does everything once you figure it out.
Plenty of information on the web, if you want a starter drop me a PM, I'll dry some and send it out.
:mug:

No, it's a mix of wild yeast and bacteria, lactobacillus is the main sourer, I haven't bought store yeast in at least 10 years and have kept a sourdough culture for at least 15, it does everything once you figure it out.
Plenty of information on the web, if you want a starter drop me a PM, I'll dry some and send it out.
:mug:

Hey Chef,

How do you dry it out? I just fed the starter and gave it 1 tsp of cider vinegar to kick it in the butt [to quote Carl]. Before I did, I poured about an 8th inch thick layer on a small plate and covered it with plastic wrap. Its now in a dark warmish spot. I plan to leave it for about a week to dry. Is this right?

Hey Chef,

How do you dry it out? I just fed the starter and gave it 1 tsp of cider vinegar to kick it in the butt [to quote Carl]. Before I did, I poured about an 8th inch thick layer on a small plate and covered it with plastic wrap. Its now in a dark warmish spot. I plan to leave it for about a week to dry. Is this right?

Should work fine, I use a piece of wax paper and probably spread it thinner, comes off very easy.

First loaf in a while. Simple no knead recipe on the pizza stone.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411613922.716446.jpg

That's it, I'm firing up my starter tonight. Hey Rex, is that return address on the envelope good?

Just bumping my question. I can quit if someone wants me to stop.

I have a bread recipe that calls for 5 grams of Amylase. I don't have it on hand and my LHBS doesn't stock it. I was thinking I could finely grind some 2-row in my flour mill, maybe sift it, and then sub that for part of white flour. Not sure how much to use. Any ideas?

Breiss's malt specs indicates that alpha amylase is 55. Not sure what this means.

I have no experience with that. Seems like a lot of work considering how easy it is to make good bread without it.

Just bumping my question. I can quit if someone wants me to stop.

I'm no expert here. It seems the alpha amylase is a strain of strain of Bacillus. If that's the case all you would need is some Sour dough starter. I imagine if you read up on sour mashes that might help answer your question about using the 2row. I bet all you would need to do is mash some ground grain. Be sure not to boil it. I'd leave it over night. Try it in a recipe and see what happens.

When i made my sour dough starter I used some grain from the beer I made that day and followed the standard direction on how to make a starter. It eventually worked out for me. I will say everyday I wondering if it was dead or infected. The crazy smells that the starter makes is all over the place.

Best of luck.

Alpha amylase is one of the two key enzymes that break down the long chain sugar molecules into smaller pieces that can be "eaten" by the yeast.
I would think that you could find it online quite easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After not baking sourdough in far too long, I got another starter going with some old (but apparently still viable) Nottingham I found in the fridge.

Long overdue.

starter.jpg

Hello. I have lurked this thread for long enough. I've been baking breads for quite a few years now and have recently started the "5 min a day" method. This is today's loaf. Dough fermented in the fridge for a week.

1413758261708.jpg

Hello. I have lurked this thread for long enough. I've been baking breads for quite a few years now and have recently started the "5 min a day" method. This is today's loaf. Dough fermented in the fridge for a week.

Do you slash your loaf? Crumb looks pretty good but the loaf is pretty light in color, what temp do you bake at? Do you steam at all?
Keep at it, practice makes perfect or so they say, I hope I get there someday;)

Did you get a chance to give it a go?

Todays loaf, did I mention I love bread?:ban:

Not yet unfortunately. My original plan was to entertain out of towners with some pizza but smoked pork and brisket won out.

Which naturally will mean Hawaiian pizza with the leftover pork later in the week :D

Do you slash your loaf? Crumb looks pretty good but the loaf is pretty light in color, what temp do you bake at? Do you steam at all?
Keep at it, practice makes perfect or so they say, I hope I get there someday;)

I did not slash. Or glaze the loaf with anything to darken. Or steam. Baked at 425F for 25 min. This was about as lazy as a loaf as I can make. 50/50 regular bleached white flour and whole wheat flour. It was slightly sour from the weeks fridge rest. Pretty tasty.

To me it looks like you may have overproofed it. It looks like the dough is a little weak from the gluten proteins breaking down over too long of a fermentation. If you bulk fermented that long and then shaped it I doubt it could hold it's shape very well, and also many of the sugars that contribute to a nice crust browning have been consumed. For me right now this is a very challenging part of making bread, being able to listen to the dough for when it finally shouts "bake me! bake me!" and there are a lot of variables. TheFreshLoaf is an invaluable source of info for bread baking if you haven't been there. It's like HBT for bread.

I gave my new baguette pan a go today. Someone gave it to me a couple years ago because it was too big for his oven. It's too big for my kitchen oven too but it fits well in the wfo out back. First time making baguettes. I used the recipe in "Tartine Bread" almost to the letter. Came out pretty good, but my oven was a little too hot(way over 500) and I could have used more steam.

DSCN2303.jpg

DSCN2304.jpg

DSCN2308.jpg

To me it looks like you may have overproofed it. It looks like the dough is a little weak from the gluten proteins breaking down over too long of a fermentation. If you bulk fermented that long and then shaped it I doubt it could hold it's shape very well, and also many of the sugars that contribute to a nice crust browning have been consumed. For me right now this is a very challenging part of making bread, being able to listen to the dough for when it finally shouts "bake me! bake me!" and there are a lot of variables. TheFreshLoaf is an invaluable source of info for bread baking if you haven't been there. It's like HBT for bread.

I agree. The dough was a bit slack when I pulled it out of the fridge to rest. I thought about adding 10% by weight more fresh flour but didn't want to wait for it to proof and wanted it to be done in time for my chili. Good eye BTW. Thanks for the recommendation of the fresh loaf.

I gave my new baguette pan a go today. Someone gave it to me a couple years ago because it was too big for his oven. It's too big for my kitchen oven too but it fits well in the wfo out back. First time making baguettes. I used the recipe in "Tartine Bread" almost to the letter. Came out pretty good, but my oven was a little too hot(way over 500) and I could have used more steam.

Dear lord baby jesus, those are some good looking baguettes!

Back