Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That doesn't look so bad, a piece of parchment paper will make transfer effortless. Did you slash the loaf?

I flour'ed the peel but it still stuck to it a bit, I've seen the debate back and forth, might have to try that :) I did not slash the loaf, though I think I might have to get one of those lames, or will a sharpened knife or razor blade work just as well?

I also might have cut the baking time a little short, was only in there for about 20 minutes, it's still slightly "doughy", but I was worried about scorching it (550°F on pre-heated pizza stone).

I would lower the baking temp to 450 and score it. Better yet, cook in a dutch oven. I have a lot of info on my blog about baking/shaping bread that has been condensed to pix and small sentences. :)

I flour'ed the peel but it still stuck to it a bit, I've seen the debate back and forth, might have to try that :) I did not slash the loaf, though I think I might have to get one of those lames, or will a sharpened knife or razor blade work just as well?

I also might have cut the baking time a little short, was only in there for about 20 minutes, it's still slightly "doughy", but I was worried about scorching it (550°F on pre-heated pizza stone).

I've used razors and a very sharp knife with much success, I would agree with the temp. I usually preheat to 550F and turn it down to 400F as I put the bread in adding water for steam at the same time.
I bake to an internal temp of 200F and never worry about a doughy center.

Aaaand the starter is dead. Or at least it's time of usefullness has passed. Went out of town for about a week and was greeted by a nice raw sewage smell wafting from the top of the refrigerator, and upon inspection the whole thing had turned a bubbling purplish brown. Dammit.

Aaaand the starter is dead. Or at least it's time of usefullness has passed. Went out of town for about a week and was greeted by a nice raw sewage smell wafting from the top of the refrigerator, and upon inspection the whole thing had turned a bubbling purplish brown. Dammit.

If ya want more just ask:mug:

If ya want more just ask:mug:

I could definitely use some more, amigo. I'll have to premium up again I suppose, the last time I sent you my address had to have been a year ago. I've been playing with it for at least 8 months I know.

After waking up the starter to ship I decided to make some kaiser rolls but wanting to bake in the cool of the morning I didn't allow the dough to relax and they didn't hold their shape, oh well they will still taste good!

IMG_3631.jpg

Thanks! I believe my mother may have a starter. I might ask her to send me some. Long trip from MN to Germany.

I've used razors and a very sharp knife with much success, I would agree with the temp. I usually preheat to 550F and turn it down to 400F as I put the bread in adding water for steam at the same time.
I bake to an internal temp of 200F and never worry about a doughy center.
Well, gave it another go, this time following your advice, with some success.

DSC_0392.JPG

DSC_0393.JPG

While I don't have parchment paper, I put extra flour and some corn meal on the peel, less stickage, and I scored the bread a couple of times. Pre-heated the oven to 550, turned it down to 400°F for 30 minutes, then slid the dough onto the stone. Added a couple ounces of Rosemary, baked for 45 minutes. While the crust isn't as good, the bread turned out much better, and I got a much better crumb structure, thanks for the help guys! Now to get more flour...

Well, gave it another go, this time following your advice, with some success.

While I don't have parchment paper, I put extra flour and some corn meal on the peel, less stickage, and I scored the bread a couple of times. Pre-heated the oven to 550, turned it down to 400°F for 30 minutes, then slid the dough onto the stone. Added a couple ounces of Rosemary, baked for 45 minutes. While the crust isn't as good, the bread turned out much better, and I got a much better crumb structure, thanks for the help guys! Now to get more flour...

That looks real nice, good job!

Like anything else - practice, practice, practice.

Using a probe-type thermometer to check internal temps has made my breadbaking efforts SO much better - no guessing as to whether or not it's done.

Indeed I did although by now I would call it the house strain.
Chugach, if your interested let me know.

I would love to get my hands on some. I've got two I'm using right now, but working on expanding the collection. Let me know how you'd like to trade or what not. I've sent mine out numerous times and just use a tupperware/ziplock and send it USPS Priority.

We have been using starter that supposedly hails from Alaska.
Richard Proenneke the backcountry Alaskan mountain man was said to
have used the same strain. We really like it going on 5 yrs now.
Read about it here:

http://www.lisafrederic.com/Our_Sourdoughs_History.htm

I am very familiar with those stories. I've read/seen all his documentation. I'm from Alaska, and my wife has deep roots there too - her family has a starter 65 years old that we have dried out. I wonder if they are similar - her father knows more of the history on it. Would love to get my hands on some. Let me know how you'd like to swap/get reimbursed or what not. (As I mentioned with ChefRex).

You can HBT me, or email me directly through my blog on the "about" part of the site.

Thanks!

I would love to get my hands on some. I've got two I'm using right now, but working on expanding the collection. Let me know how you'd like to trade or what not. I've sent mine out numerous times and just use a tupperware/ziplock and send it USPS Priority.

PM your address, I'll dry some and get it out to you.

I read somewhere recently can't remember where to not punch the dough down after the 1st rise but simply cut it in 1/2 (for 2 loaves) and let double again then bake.

Maybe i misunderstood but i tried this thinking it would make bigger holes in the bread but what i got was 2 somewhat deflated loaves lacking hardly any significant holes .
It still tastes as good as ever but probably won't do this again.

Nice loaves. I'm baking tomorrow... I've got 2 new starters to play with. Trying out one that's been on my wifes side of the fam from Alaska since the 50's

My best looking loaf yet! Thanks for showing me the way guys, I haven't even broken into anything crazy yet.. cooling on a rack as I type, can't wait to cut it open for a slice with some homemade butter I set out as soon as I got home. Just regular all-purpose king arthur flour.

DSC_0510.JPG

DSC_0512.JPG

Could have used some deeper ridging, but oh well!

[EDIT 10:11 pm 7/21/14]:
Figured I'd add a couple of the "money shot" lol. I'm so amazed, actual crumb structure / air pockets!

DSC_0514.JPG

7Dv6pCcoUjkmkqK13JHXWz3uIb0lMNINEpDyDGKL7O4q=w886-h589-no

Back