Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First sourdough loaves resting up for their big day tomorrow. Thanks to ChefRex for the culture!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406319821.298577.jpg

Looks great, as always!

I've been neglecting my starter, but just mixed up some pancake batter and a bread starter for tomorrow. I love sourdough pancakes and the fact that my dairy-free son can eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

But... flour on an end table in the living room????!??!! The Madness!!!!

Lol, it takes the work out of kneading!

I was using the coffee table, but the grooves on that end table are so helpful in kneading.

The idea came from walking........I have a good mile and a half that I usually walk, and feel tired when I get home.........(bear with me)

One day, while dealing with a rare Verizon COMPLETE F**K UP (all their fault) I found myself to have walked easily 3 times the distance and barely noticed.

The lesson?

When you are standing in the kitchen over a cutting board, counting each....umm.....mush of the dough, you get tired of it quick.

Throw it on the (clean) coffee table and put a good 30 minute show on, and WHAM...great dough and you almost forget you kneaded it.

You do have to vacuum.

Over the weekend, I made fry bread pizza (DEAR GAWD I GOTTA STOP MAKING THAT...so good, so bad for you), great biscuits, and hamburger buns.

All the best I have ever done!

I am starting on a low carb (but not no carb) diet, essentially a big reduction in carbs while increasing the amount of veggies and eating more lean meat (And pork because we just bought a hog...)

So of course this thread is driving my crazy. I really have the urge to build up my sourdough starter and make some bread. I know it's just the fact that I know I shouldn't that gives me the urge. Maybe I will just only eat bread on those days where I get a LOT more exercise... That will work, right?

When it comes to protein diets, you can't ever cheat with grains or anything made from them. You have to keep your body in ketosis to use the ketones in your fat cells to loose weight. Good carbs (no shelled beans & the like) & lean meats, poultry or seafood are what does it. And no cheating on weekends to keep from gaining back what you lost during the week. I need to do it again.

They messed up or you ordered the wrong one??

I ordered the right one, they sent the wrong one. Conveniently they charge the buyer return fees, even if it was their mess up. For what it's worth, they could have sent me a shoe and I'd still be liable for the return shipping. Shipping it back will be in the ballpark of $12 - $20.

They say they'll return messages within 24 hours during non business hours, but still haven't heard a peep. I guess I'll see how this plays out.

1407693805192.jpg

I ordered the right one, they sent the wrong one. Conveniently they charge the buyer return fees, even if it was their mess up. For what it's worth, they could have sent me a shoe and I'd still be liable for the return shipping. Shipping it back will be in the ballpark of $12 - $20.

They say they'll return messages within 24 hours during non business hours, but still haven't heard a peep. I guess I'll see how this plays out.

Wow, that sucks. I'd give them a crappy review. Did you look on amazon? They have them too and they ship prime for $55 or so, I think...

Got my proofing basket in the mail yesterday, so figured I'd try it out! Dough rose fine, but when I transferred it to my pre-heated stone and sliced it (There was a bit too much friction), it deflated. Still, bread turned out awesome and looks pretty? I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

I had that problem when I first got my baskets, too. You really have to flour them quite a bit to make sure the dough releases.

Practice makes perfect and you can't complain about more bread to eat while you get there ;)

I had that problem when I first got my baskets, too. You really have to flour them quite a bit to make sure the dough releases.
The dough released fine, but perhaps I put the wrong side face down? I inverted the basket (well, slowly turned it so the loaf didn't flop onto the stone) while it rolled onto the stone slowly. I used basically a razor blade to score it but that deflated it more. I think I might invest in a lame.
Practice makes perfect and you can't complain about more bread to eat while you get there ;)
Exactly! The bread turned out fantastic, I was just hoping for something a little more sandwich shaped.

The dough released fine, but perhaps I put the wrong side face down? I inverted the basket (well, slowly turned it so the loaf didn't flop onto the stone) while it rolled onto the stone slowly. I used basically a razor blade to score it but that deflated it more. I think I might invest in a lame.

Exactly! The bread turned out fantastic, I was just hoping for something a little more sandwich shaped.

How long did it proof for? A couple of my past loaves I left to proof over night and they both deflated as well.

I used a breadmaker to make the dough, so it kneads it 2-3 times over the course of an hour and a half, then I sprinkled flour and corn meal in the basket and coated it well, let it proof for an hour until it got the size above. Maybe next time I'll try placing my hot stone on top of the basket, and then inverting it? Seems dangerous, but that's what oven mits are for.

Back