Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whole grain it going to produce a denser loaf, If you want more control ditch the machine;)
White whole wheat works quite well and keeps the whole grain goodness, using a good white bread flour as some of the bill works wonders, Increasing the moisture in the recipe helps to develop pockets also.
An egg in a loaf isn't going to kill you and the fat will make the bread stay fresh longer.
I use a lot of whole grains in my breads and I have produced a lot of dense loafs, as with any thing else it takes practice.
Hope this helps.

Whole grain it going to produce a denser loaf, If you want more control ditch the machine;)
White whole wheat works quite well and keeps the whole grain goodness, using a good white bread flour as some of the bill works wonders, Increasing the moisture in the recipe helps to develop pockets also.
An egg in a loaf isn't going to kill you and the fat will make the bread stay fresh longer.
I use a lot of whole grains in my breads and I have produced a lot of dense loafs, as with any thing else it takes practice.
Hope this helps.

I will definitely try that. Thank you.

"Dense" and "chewy" are not interchangeable in my book........

I LOVE my baguette crust to be chewy, I like my irish soda bread "dense". The baguette is light and moist inside, far from dense.

Country sourdough based off of the tartine recipe/procedure. 50g ap starter and 50g rye starter from my sour in the rye dreg starter. 1st time using the le creuset Dutch oven for bread. Got amazing oven spring. Can't wait to slice it open

1395988633638.jpg

1395988653762.jpg

1395988666406.jpg

Looks better. Try more scoring, and higher heat to establish more of a crust.

With regard to loaves being less dense, I would not add fat or egg, rather focus on your shaping technique and fermentation temps.

All the loaves I have posted are crunchy crust and fluffy interior. Just salt flour water yeast.

Is there a healthy way to make it softer?

I don't know about making softer, but egg and oil (and beer) are both good for you in moderation.

I like to add a quarter cup of spent grain to my loaves. I usually take a loaf to the church potlucks and everyone raves over them. There are quite a few teetotalers so when I am asked what the grain is, I just tell them it is toasted barley.

I wouldn't kick that loaf out of bed either, but it's almost like either the top was a little dried out or the oven had no steam to keep the top moist. Definitely could have benefitted from deeper gashes. Hoppydaze is becoming quite the blossoming baker.

So, you proof the bread in a banneton, then transfer it to you baking surface? How does it hold the shape of the banneton? How do you get it out of the banneton, flip it?

The peel in my picture is a Superpeel:

http://www.superpeel.com/

I place the inverted peel over the banneton and flip both over, releasing the loaf. The Superpeel makes it quite easy to transfer the loaf to my baking stone.

I bought the Superpeel for transferring pizzas to the stone, though I end up using it more for bread than anything.

I first heard about the Superpeel from breadtopia.com when I was first starting to make bread via the no-knead process. That site has plenty of cool gadgets and tools.

The peel in my picture is a Superpeel:

http://www.superpeel.com/

I place the inverted peel over the banneton and flip both over, releasing the loaf. The Superpeel makes it quite easy to transfer the loaf to my baking stone.

I bought the Superpeel for transferring pizzas to the stone, though I end up using it more for bread than anything.

I first heard about the Superpeel from breadtopia.com when I was first starting to make bread via the no-knead process. That site has plenty of cool gadgets and tools.

Thank you for the info.

So, you proof the bread in a banneton, then transfer it to you baking surface? How does it hold the shape of the banneton? How do you get it out of the banneton, flip it?

I flip it on to a piece of parchment paper, makes it easy to transfer, slash and into the oven never giving it time to spread out.

Beautiful loafs!

Thanks! I've been getting a lot better at learning how to build strength in the loaves so I can reach a much higher hydration without having them turn into pancakes. Had some with soft cheesy polenta and olive oil braised collard greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow, I'm just now viewing those pictures I uploaded from my mobile on my desktop, and that formatting is really crappy. I wonder if there's anything I can do to improve on that.

Wow, I'm just now viewing those pictures I uploaded from my mobile on my desktop, and that formatting is really crappy. I wonder if there's anything I can do to improve on that.

I don't know--the loaves look killer to me. The crumb looks amazing.

You mind sharing your formula and baking technique? Curious to see where I can improve.

I don't know--the loaves look killer to me. The crumb looks amazing.

You mind sharing your formula and baking technique? Curious to see where I can improve.

The recipe was basic.
200G of 100% hydration levain
900G of white bread flour
100G of whole wheat flour
755 grams of water
20 grams of salt

I basically followed the Tartine protocol of mixing a rough dough with my hands, reserving the salt and 55 grams of water, and allowing a 45 minute autolyse. Then you mix in the salt dissolved into the water, also with your hands. There was no conventional kneading. Then during the bulk fermentation I did a series of turns on the dough every 20-30 minutes for the first half of the 4 hour ferment, then one each hour for the remainder. You just simply wet your hand, slide it to the underneath of the dough mass, and pull the dough taught up into the air, fold it over, and repeat until you can feel that all the dough has recieved equal treatment. This is THE KEY to making bread that looks like this. I was unable to reach that level of hydration before because my bread didn't have the strength to hold itself up with all that water in it. With this technique you are building strength by pulling and folding the gluten strands, and you can really feel it as the dough develops.

Back