Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see; I misunderstood your post. I'm surprised you can't find it locally...you're only one state away from the source.

I did happen to find the Bob's Redmill semonlina pasta flour today at a new natural foods grocery store - i'm gonna try to find the fine durum flour at a couple other places around here but if I don't have any luck at least I know where I can get something

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394401559.428830.jpg

My replacement Bread maker came in today, so unless there is another issue I should have a simple white bread loaf done tonight :D

Well the bread maker works! :rockin:

I just did a simple Italian loaf last night to go with lasagna. I didnt do the normal cycle (3 hours 45 minutes) but instead did the rapid rise and added more yeast. Turned out alright but I think it will really benefit from the full cycle. I was just too excited to wait four hours

Not sure if I did this right. I didn't do any research on it.

I stored my starter in a canning jar in the fridge for a few weeks. Today after work I took half of it and started a new cycle 100% hydration to get it going again. It was dormant when it went in the fridge. The other half of it I used as I normally would making dough for bread. See anything wrong with this process? I did take it out of the fridge the day before and decanted the water that settled on top

I stored my starter in a canning jar in the fridge for a few weeks. Today after work I took half of it and started a new cycle 100% hydration to get it going again. It was dormant when it went in the fridge. The other half of it I used as I normally would making dough for bread. See anything wrong with this process? I did take it out of the fridge the day before and decanted the water that settled on top

Just like beer noob all over again, isn't it? The only problem I have found (trial and error) with using starter that has been sitting around either refrigerated or otherwise unfed is that it doesn't have a lot of vitality compared to starter that has been fed once a day for two days before use. It just doesn't rise the same, and typically you get a lot of gluten weakening by the time the starter has gotten strong enough to raise your bread, making a soupy, flat loaf. Still, YMMV. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't fully follow what you did. 99% of the time I put my starter out the night before, mix the liquid back in, feed an equal amount of flour and distilled water. The next day pull of the amount I want to use the rest goes back in the fridge, active and ready for the next time and repeat process.
Works for me, hope it helps.

Thanks. What I did was put the starter in the fridge after about two days of not feeding it. I used most of it in a recipe but the rest 1.5 cups went in the fridge. Three weeks later took it out of the fridge and let it sit a day and added it to a recipe without re-feeding it (the mistake). I also decanted but I think that was a mistake too? Now I know. I added some active yeast and it's already rising. I'm going to turn a few times before I let sit for the night. It will be fine. The starter smelled delicious by the way.

I assume for those who dry out their starters feed them a day or two before the put them use?

Yes, you want it fed and active when you use it. Three week and not feeding it, it would not be happy. Over the summer I don't bake much and the starter will sit for long periods, a feeding or two and I'm back in business.
As far as the liquid, some stir it in some don't, I alway have and never had an issue and I been using this same strain for well over ten years.
I'll be mailing some dry tomorrow, rehydrate and feed.

This method works well for me. If I'm going to store it in the fridge for any length of time, I'll usually feed it on a daily basis for a few days while it's out on the kitchen counter, maybe a Tbsp each of water & flour. Each day (once it's proofed) I'll scoop out the majority of it, which is usually eaten, and then re-feed. The day that I plan to put it in the fridge, I'll only remove about half (give or take) of what's been working, and feed with .25C of water & flour. Before you put it in the fridge, you can let it sit out for a few hours so it can begin working a little, but I've had good luck with just re-feeding and sticking it right in the fridge. This way, the little critters are well fed and in good shape before going into the fridge. Hope this helps.

I got myself some Bannetons on ebay and I find it makes a nice pattern on the bread and is a good place to prove them. I've been using Lallemand fresh yeast all of the time recently too, I find just like with beer

A banneton is a ratton basket? When you proof the bread do you need a liner or cloth inside? Sorry just starting to learn...

From wikipedia:

A banneton is a type of basket used to provide structure for the sourdough breads during proofing. Proofing baskets are distinct from loaf pans in that the bread is normally removed from these baskets before baking. Conventionally, these baskets are made out of wicker, but many modern proofing baskets are made out of silicone or plastic. A banneton will often have a cloth liner to prevent dough from sticking to the sides of the basket, though some have no such cloth. These baskets are used both to provide the loaf with shape and to wick moisture from the crust. Banneton baskets are also known as Brotform or proofing baskets. Alternatively, a couche (pronounced koosh) or proofing cloth can be used on which to proof dough, or it can be used to cover the dough. Couches are generally made of linen or other coarse material to which the dough will not stick and are left unwashed, so as to let yeast and flour collect in them, aiding the proofing process. A banneton is used for round loaves, called boules, and a couche is typically used for longer loaves, such as baguettes.

I like the basket & couche thing. I have a fading memory of mom using something like that occasionally. I need to find a replacement for my double French loaf pans. It was Teflon coated & shaped like an upside down "M". I used to like making braided French loaves to take to dinner parties & holiday meals. Brushed with melted butter or oil & sprinkled with poppy seeds. Family would freak over the fact that I made it & pies from scratch.

I've got 3 lbs of roasted potato/wheat bread rising right now... Can't decide whether to make 2-1.5 lb loaves, or a mother loaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You guys are blowing my mind with the loaf designs. What do I needed to do that? And get that dark skin or is it just the flour doing it?

You guys are blowing my mind with the loaf designs. What do I needed to do that? And get that dark skin or is it just the flour doing it?

Do you mean the shape?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RZ0056/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

As for the crust, I generally use whole grains so that definitely helps. I start as high a temp as the stove can handle, preheat for an hour if I have the time, when the oven says it's up to temp that in only the air not solids.I have two pizza stones in the oven and they help.
I add a cup of water in a cast iron pan in the bottom and turn the heat to 400F as the bread goes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
A banneton is a ratton basket? When you proof the bread do you need a liner or cloth inside? Sorry just starting to learn...

I do the first proof with a cloth liner in, then I take it out and knock it back and remove the liner to do my final proof. You have to be careful turning it out onto the baking tray or it knocks a lot of air out. I tend to turn it out and let it proof a little longer with just a wet cloth over then bake with a tray with a half a glass of water in it in the bottom of the oven.

I got something like this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-25cm-1.../290997625615?pt=Bakeware&hash=item43c0cf630f

Latest posts

Back