Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly bread, but...

image.jpg

After trying many times to get a starter going from scratch. I gave up and asked for some from the local bakery. She went back and brought me a soup container full. I fed it last night and wow. It's a monster. Hoping to bake tonight or tomorrow.

That looks marvelous! Kinda artistic the way you did the top. Now I really gotta get those new fancy bread pans! :rockin:

Wow, I finally reached the end!

Every starter I tried creating ended up in a disturbingly smelly mess, so I sent away for "Carl's Friends" starter about a week ago. Up until now, I've been successfully making the no-knead recipe using traditional bakers yeast. Looking forward to a sourdough!

All starters will be a disturbingly smelly mess depending how they are fed, especially the ratio of flour to water and the frequency of the feedings. More liquid and less frequent times favors bacteria over yeast. Drier and more frequent feedings favor yeast and less sour. It takes some time and experimentation to get it just how you want it.

Bread was gone so fast I didn't have time to take pictures. I sure wish I had more time to bake these days.

I promised myself I'd start baking bread more this fall, hope to get a loaf in the oven this weekend.

Quick question, when you all feed your starters, how much flour/water do you add? I've seen everywhere people say 1:1 flour to water, but my starter just seems super thin lately. Should I up the flour?

Ratio? I do about 1:1 by weight (which should be about 2:1 flour to water by volume). Should be thick batter, not really pourable.

Up the flour for a couple feeds if the starter is running thin tho

I promised myself I'd start baking bread more this fall, hope to get a loaf in the oven this weekend.

Quick question, when you all feed your starters, how much flour/water do you add? I've seen everywhere people say 1:1 flour to water, but my starter just seems super thin lately. Should I up the flour?

I do mine 1:1 by volume, pourable, if it gets too soupy I add a little more flour.
It's been around a long time, I haven't killed it yet and thanks for the reminder, time to feed;)

Wow, I finally reached the end!

Every starter I tried creating ended up in a disturbingly smelly mess, so I sent away for "Carl's Friends" starter about a week ago. Up until now, I've been successfully making the no-knead recipe using traditional bakers yeast. Looking forward to a sourdough!

I just got my "Carl's Friend" going the last week. It is a whole new ballgame so far. Much more active. The smell is biscuity and not sour so far. It is very gelatinous compared to my other starters over the years. The pizza dough was greatly improved but I have not experimented with bread much. I'm actually considering throwing my other starter out. Good luck!

bread machine, noun
1.an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task:
2. to make bread
3. an apparatus used by those who dont know **** about bread
4. gift from sister, who probably stole it, another story,another time

I use a bread machine all the time for mixing and proofing on a custom cycle. It's a ZO I paid 6 bucks for at Goodwill. It's been dependable for 7 years. Beats spending the money on a Kitchenaid mixer and proof box. It all ends up on a stone in the oven.

Back