Homegrown pomegranates into wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jperry

Reaction score
I recently picked a few bags full of "wonderful pomegranates", from my backyard, and I really wanted to make some wine. I've searched the internet and cannot find enough info about the subject. It seems like everybody just buys that POM juice. (Obvious reason, nobody wants to squeeze all the pomegranates, right?.) I found time to squeeze the pomegranates and turn them into juice. But I really wanted to know: How fermentable are the sugars, from the juice? I don't want to add other sugars if I don't need to. Do I boil the juice? (im guessing, NO). I can handle tannins and tartness pretty well, but should I avoid adding the seeds? Thank you in advance... I really don't want to mess it up! I got my mother and grandmother excited on it.

From what I have read, it will be awfully tart. I made mine in August and I cut the poms in half and scooped the guts right into the primary. I am not sure, but I want to think the seeds have tannic acid in them. I then threw 8 quarts of blueberries in and 1 pint of boiling sugar syrup, and let it sit for 24 hours then strained it, and added champagne yeast. It is in the secondary now. It is pretty tart, but very good. As soon as it clears a bit, (I screwed up and used a handblender in the primary :()it will be ready to bottle. I ended up planting three more pom trees because the wine is so good. There are some really good pom threads in here, and even though they use the bottled juice, you can get some good tips.

Jperry....there is no need to boil your pom juice. As far as adding the arils, once juiced, that is independent choice--many say they add bitterness like the pith of citrus. I will caution that pomegranate is naturally quite acidic. But it makes a nice wine. I did an apple pom blend, just great wine!! I caught pom juice at such a mark down it was too good to pass up, and blended with fresh pressed sweet apple cider. I look forward to my white pom seedlings growing up and producing!

Have fun.

From what I have read, it will be awfully tart. I made mine in August and I cut the poms in half and scooped the guts right into the primary. I am not sure, but I want to think the seeds have tannic acid in them. I then threw 8 quarts of blueberries in and 1 pint of boiling sugar syrup, and let it sit for 24 hours then strained it, and added champagne yeast. It is in the secondary now. It is pretty tart, but very good. As soon as it clears a bit, (I screwed up and used a handblender in the primary :()it will be ready to bottle. I ended up planting three more pom trees because the wine is so good. There are some really good pom threads in here, and even though they use the bottled juice, you can get some good tips.

Thank you, I'll check out those threads and adapt my recipe...

Jperry....there is no need to boil your pom juice. As far as adding the arils, once juiced, that is independent choice--many say they add bitterness like the pith of citrus. I will caution that pomegranate is naturally quite acidic. But it makes a nice wine. I did an apple pom blend, just great wine!! I caught pom juice at such a mark down it was too good to pass up, and blended with fresh pressed sweet apple cider. I look forward to my white pom seedlings growing up and producing!

Have fun.

Thanks Saramc, I won't boil the juice. Do I need to add an "Acid Blend" like some recipes call for? How about Campden/ Pectic enzymes?

If using fresh fruit it is always recommended to use k-meta/campden and I always use pectinase (if it is not utilized during ferment it drops out). Personally, I held on adding the acid until after it was clear. Notes on my crashed computer but I think I used part tartaric, part citric acid (acid blend would be fine).

Latest posts

Back