Homebrewing Truths

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you will, in the begining, drink more green beer then any other......(and then b!tch about the taste)

(and Revvy WILL rip you a new one, if you mention "under carbed bottle conitioned", "need for secondery", "Bad tast in green beer"....ect......that guy:rockin: is my hero!!!!!)

It may seem like homebrewing will save you money, but in the end you'll end up spending more in equipment and upgrades.

Yet, you won't care because you're making some damn good beer!

No matter how great your last batch was, you gotta try something different next time.

philjohnwilliams said:
Many of the commercial beers you once loved will now taste like putrid swamp water

Lol already so true, especially after I fell in love with craft beers lol

You will spend 10X more time doing reading, research, studying, and learning about beer than you EVER did about ANYTHING ELSE in school.

I can second that note. I had to clear out a whole shelf of my wife's romance novels so I could put my home brew books in it.

The hardest thing you'll ever do is to convince a BMC drinker that there's more to beer than pilsner & lager from big companies.

You will occasionally buy a bomber of beer specifically for the coolness of the bottle and the prospect of bottling your own beer in it.

In fact, many of your beer purchases will revolve around ease of label removal and lack of twist off caps.

The amount of physical space taken up by your brewing equipment is directly proportional to the number of beers you've brewed...

....You purchase a 12 pack of something commercial just because you've never tasted it before... only to realize that it tastes like Heineken (damn you newcastle founders ale). Then justify the purchse with "Those are some nice brown non-screw-top-bottles - I'll be using those bitches fo shure!".

You constantly worry if the shelves in the closet need to be reinforced to hold the weight of the hundreds of bottles of homebrew.

You tend to do much more kitchen cleaning than you ever did
before you started brewing.

you discover purgatory is in fact a great place to find new, different, and CHEAP yeast!

&

Develop a love affair with anything stainless steel

You will say that next time you are going to write up a brew day schedule, but you won't.

You will occasionally buy a bomber of beer specifically for the coolness of the bottle and the prospect of bottling your own beer in it.

In fact, many of your beer purchases will revolve around ease of label removal and lack of twist off caps.

This one is SO true! No more Leiny for the wife, and I bought a couple Dead Guy Ale 1/2 gallons because they were $6.99, and "the bottle is worth that alone!"

You will spend 10X more time doing reading, research, studying, and learning about beer than you EVER did about ANYTHING ELSE in school.

So true, I have spent more time reading books about yeast and brewing chemistry than I ever did studying for any science class both in high school or college.

This one is SO true! No more Leiny for the wife, and I bought a couple Dead Guy Ale 1/2 gallons because they were $6.99, and "the bottle is worth that alone!"

In my city I don't think you can even buy beer in a bomber or 1/2 gallon. Hell, I've never even seen one before, for that matter! I wish I could find a couple!

Oh... and that's another "Homebrewing Truth"! You often discover new things you want on a HBT.com thread!

you won't blink twice about buying a $7 bottle of beer and placing it in your beer collection to wait for that "rainy day" to open it and try it against your own similar style.

you will be asked, "How can every conversation end up talking about beer?"

It is hard to siphon your freshly fermented goodies into a bottling bucket when both containers are sitting at the same level. 'Why all the bubbles? It doesn't appear to be siphoning correctly....' 'Huh, that's weird, just keep with it....wait, put the bucket down here.... Huh, imagine *that*.' Hmmm indeed. Science and all...

Even though SWMBO will bi7(h at you alot about making a mess on brew day, when all said and done that beer will keep her quiet and happy

You will start to find opportunities to use the word "flocculate" while discussing beer at the bar with friends.

Back