Homebrewing Truths

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let's start a thread on some truths encountered through homebrewing. Here are 2 of mine:

- Any time you brew a dark beer/stout, somehow there will be splatters that you'll continue to find on walls/tile/etc for weeks if not months.

- Those splatters that you didn't notice, will be apparent to your wife immediately.

Soot from the propane will be licked all over the bottom of you brew pot from the flame. This black plague will be all over everything! You wife will talk about how it is on her car and everything else that belongs to her.... (which if it is not brewing equip, it's pretty much all hers) I cannot win :(

A new brewer will drink a case of bottles from their first batch, "testing carbonation", in the first 4 weeks after bottling.

No airlock activity DOES NOT mean your beer is done fermenting.

50 million bottle bombs can't be wrong.

jeffd10 said:
Every new brewer will think his first or second batch is infected

Lol I was very picky on sanitation for my first brew... and yet I still worried about infection lol

For every pound of grain you put into the mash tun there will be 2 pounds of crap to dig out.

Soot from the propane will be licked all over the bottom of you brew pot from the flame. This black plague will be all over everything! You wife will talk about how it is on her car and everything else that belongs to her.... (which if it is not brewing equip, it's pretty much all hers) I cannot win :(

Um,.... soot means your burners are not properly adjusted, you need to adjust the amount of air flow into the burner until only the very tips of the flames are yellow, or no yellow at all. Soot means lots CO and unburned gas.

The bottled beer will not last forever, but the stains on your shoes from spilling while racking will be there forever!

BrewerinBR said:
Um,.... soot means your burners are not properly adjusted, you need to adjust the amount of air flow into the burner until only the very tips of the flames are yellow, or no yellow at all. Soot means lots CO and unburned gas.

THIS is my problem!!! It drives me nuts. No matter how I adjust it does not seem to work.

Thanks for the info...

You will start liking styles of brew u didn't before until u homebrewed the style. For me it was wheats never like them now I've brewed a few and I really like them

Once you start siphoning or bottling, you'll find that you left the beer you were drinking JUST out of reach.

You will be disappointed in your first 5 or 6 beers. Not that they're not good (they may very well be good/great beers), but that you'll say it should be better.

Agreed - never had a liking for an IPA before I started brewing. Still not my favorite, but I am learning to appreciate the hoppiness.

JoeyChopps said:
You will start liking styles of brew u didn't before until u homebrewed the style. For me it was wheats never like them now I've brewed a few and I really like them

You start to watch a movie with your gal, when 10 min later, she catches you looking through forum threads about how to make a fermentation chamber.

Everyone around you will simply assume you only drink and brew "dark beer".

That hits home I live in the south and if its not bud light its garbage

Yep! After running out of Bud Light last night at a cookout, I hand my uncle one of my SNPA, and after 30 minutes of baby sitting he cracks this comment, "It's alright, I just get a lot more flavor out of the bud light".

That session beer that couldn't get you drunk if you tried, did.

Latest posts

Back