Homebrewing screws you over. I can never go to a bar for beer again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicknbrew

Reaction score
Went to my favorite old haunt to watch the Buffalo/Philly game last night, and ordered a Long Trail unfiltered IPA.

Carb was way too low, there was no head from the dirty glass, and every sip smelled like bleach.

WHY did I have to start homebrewing and learn how crappy beer in bars really is/is served?!

Ahh well. I came home and had a Vienna Blond Ale I brewed last month. All was right with the world once more.

I dunno about that. When I have a really great commercial beer I always appreciate how much effort goes into it and then I try to figure out how to recreate it. I think commercial beer and home brewing go hand in hand

I dunno about that. When I have a really great commercial beer I always appreciate how much effort goes into it and then I try to figure out how to recreate it. I think commercial beer and home brewing go hand in hand

Well said. Lets have another thread where we all proclaim our homebrew is the best beer to ever pass human lips, yay! ;)

_

he didn't say all commercial beer is crappy, he said beer at a bar is crappy because its served crappy. a lot of times it is. you need to find a bar that knows what they're doing. only one in my area that i know of, so its the only one i drink beer at.

Went to my favorite old haunt to watch the Buffalo/Philly game last night, and ordered a Long Trail unfiltered IPA.

Carb was way too low, there was no head from the dirty glass, and every sip smelled like bleach.
WHY did I have to start homebrewing and learn how crappy beer in bars really is/is served?!

Ahh well. I came home and had a Vienna Blond Ale I brewed last month. All was right with the world once more.

I had to reread the OP again after reading your replies. Get a grip. Not once did he say his beer was the best on Earth or that commercial beers suck. He was only saying the way the beer is served doesn't meet his standards at home.

he didn't say all commercial beer is crappy, he said beer at a bar is crappy because its served crappy. a lot of times it is. you need to find a bar that knows what they're doing. only one in my area that i know of, so its the only one i drink beer at.

agreed. this bar sounds worse than average to me. and, personally, when i'm at the bar it's more for the people than for the beer. if i want good beer, i'll crack some homebrews or go to Malt & Vine and grab some micros, then invite some friends over.

Just need a new bar. Luckily here in the philly area, there are excellent places. The problem, price! Hate ordering 10 dollar drafts, but man they are good.

That is what I get for going to belgium places. You can get swill cheaper. Russian river runs around 16 for some. One place the average is 8. Now these are all micros or oversees beers.

And cheaper. Never understood why they don't list the price of beers in the restaurants. They list the price of everything else!

That is what I get for going to belgium places. You can get swill cheaper. Russian river runs around 16 for some. One place the average is 8. Now these are all micros or oversees beers.

i definitely wouldn't consider Ninkasi swill.
$10 is more than McMennamins charges for their Nitros (which they seem to be very proud of)

maybe we're just spoiled in the PNW....

my problem is that around here the bars i go to dont serve anything but the BMC and that crap i just can not drink.. the crowd around here likes labatts to much which is absolute garbage. so i have trouble liking the beer available, because of this when i do find a beer i like, it typically is old and not very good.

i had sierra Nevada on tap at one of those places the other day, and it taste like poop. prob because people around me think that is to high class or doesn't fit they crappy beer profile likes..

my favorate fight about beers is which beer is the best when you hear this at the bar between coors light/miller lite/ bud light.. that just drive me nuts (its all crap)

Wow, this thread exploded.

Yeah, uh, I was just disappointed in the whole 'sports bar' thing... we've got tons of 'em here in Buffalo, and rarely do they know how to serve beer. It had just been a while since my compadres and I went out rather than stayed in for brews, and I noticed the difference.

We did just have a new bar open up here that serves only craft beer in a way that respects the hard work that went into it.

I love me some Long Trail... I Just hate the way it was served.

But truly, my beer is the best beer ever to pass human lips. :D

my problem is that around here the bars i go to dont serve anything but the BMC and that crap i just can not drink.. the crowd around here likes labatts to much which is absolute garbage. so i have trouble liking the beer available, because of this when i do find a beer i like, it typically is old and not very good.

i had sierra Nevada on tap at one of those places the other day, and it taste like poop. prob because people around me think that is to high class or doesn't fit they crappy beer profile likes..

my favorate fight about beers is which beer is the best when you hear this at the bar between coors light/miller lite/ bud light.. that just drive me nuts (its all crap)

I've never been very impressed by Sierra Nevada myself. same with Sam Adams. people mention that they're the beers that got them into micros/homebrews, but to me, they still have that flat profile i associate with BMC.
luckily, all the bars around here carry at least Mac & jack, and some have Deschutes, new belgium, etc.

I've never been very impressed by Sierra Nevada myself

its good but its not that good... the only reason why i bought it is that it was the only thing the bar had that was 1/2 way decent on tap.. or sam adams.. and for me unless i get a very fresh keg of boston lager... i really dont like it.. (i taste the hops so much more)

It sounds like you just go to a real ****hole bar. Maybe going to a place where your shoes don't stick to the floor and the bathrooms don't smell like a wino's socks might make you appreciate that there are plenty of good commercial beers out there. Beers that you don't make.

its good but its not that good... the only reason why i bought it is that it was the only thing the bar had that was 1/2 way decent on tap.. or sam adams.. and for me unless i get a very fresh keg of boston lager... i really dont like it.. (i taste the hops so much more)

Just had their Big Foot and it was muy friggin delicioso :cross:

Back