Homebrewing cost effectiveness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I brew naked whenever I can. Wait....cost of citation for indecent exposure? Demmit! :fro:

Cost of gas of SWMBO's time to take you to the ER. Amortized cost of wear and tear of her vehicle. The cost of cleaning your burned skin off her upholstery...lol..j/k. I brew in shorts and slippahs (flip flops for those of you unfamiliar with pigeon) all the time. I HAVE however burned my shin on one occasion and the top of my foot on another. But minor stuff. /thread drift....

The longwinded post above is wrong about amortization, it can happen over any defined interval, including "per batch", and IMHO, SHOULD be amortized per batch if you want to know what a batch costs you "today". Not including the cost of your equipment is classic sandbagging. "I make cheaper beer then you nanny nanny pooh pooh!"

You won't have to pay for your equipment over and over either. You can either stop amortizing equipment cost at some juncture (when it's 100% amortized), or continually amortize it per batch over the life of equipment, which, in time, will decrease the "calculated" costs of past batches).

Ultimately though, I find it all funny. I like the hobby, I'm continually upgrading my gear (increasing the capital investment in my brewery endeavors) and I buy so much more good beer now then I did before I started brewing.

Hobby's cost money...generally speaking, and my brewing hobby is certainly no exception. There's a reason I didn't get a new mountain bike, snowboard, or surfboard this year....because brewing isn't saving me money. :D

The trick to this whole thing is that you either engage the question of cost as a true equation or quit while you're ahead and say it doesn't matter. Just don't try to mix the two together. If it's a true equation, then you'll come up with NO, homebrewing is not the way to get cheap beer if you don't factor in the enjoyment of it as a hobby. If you find that you actually enjoy homebrewing (if you're reading this then that's probably you), the answer is "It doesn't matter". Anything you do to minimize batch cost is just noise and it won't affect your decision to homebrew unless you're having financial problems at the moment.

I do enjoy that this question comes up often and that people get pretty heated up about it. All it really does is highlight how little people know about economics AND how much people enjoy brewing.

"Cost doesn't matter" says the guy peddling his wares to us homebrewing nerds!!! ha ha!

JK....well stated...

As a doctor, I would vehemently disagree with the notion that I have more "spare time". Have you seen the hours that a resident or a surgeon works? Even clinic based primary care docs put in a lot of hours.

Do you think docs don't have mortgages, car payments, kids to put through college? How about student loans, which are commonly as much as a mortgage...? Look, I'm not saying we are poor, but make no mistake, we WORK for our money. And mistakes result in dead patients.

Sorry to take this OT... carry on.
I only used doctor because doctor was the example in the doctor and gardener example of my econ 101 textbook. I was meaning it to mean any comfortably middle-class and stable professional... pretty much a general practitioner. Or any other professional. For my example, any one who works a set amount of time in a relatively decent wage and is comfortable with some small amount of free time compared to someone who has no free time and works long hours at a low wage.

My apologies.

But yes, if you're claiming to save/make money by cycling, your time value is equal to what someone with your biking skill could earn.

I don't agree with your premise (that you must include the cost of your time) unless you're allowed to value your time at zero. Because my hobby time earns me exactly that, and I'm willing to work for zero when doing my hobby.

I could easily argue that cycling saves me money if it prevents me from driving....to the mall.....and spending money. Nobody here is talking about "mak(ing)" money. I think if you're claiming to MAKE money, you can justify your statement by making one cent over the cogs...but in this case it's not a hobby, it's a profession, so yes, you have to calculate your time into COGS.

Why am I on this thread? LOL...this is one of the 8 circular, never ending debates on HBT..but I do find it interesting the lengths people will go through to justify their hobby. Methinks too many of my fellow HBTers fudged a bit to their SWMBO about how much brewing was going to cost them. :)

Brew beer. Ferment beer. Rack beer. Condition beer. Drink beer. Repeat.

Fun! :mug:

I have not really broke down cost because I do it for fun but will say depends on the beer you buy if you drink Natural Light or something sure its more. But if your homebrewing you probably have better taste than that *no offense to anyone who loves that beer* But i have easily spent money on some quality craft beers as well say Founders Breakfast stout if I make an oatmeal stout I am sure id save money then. But I do it for hobby and reward.

But there is a flaw with your math - when I brewed the 22nd batch the equipment is now paid for ($37/batch, over 21 batches), so the value is zero. Hence, why non-term amortization is always over the equipments lifetime. Which, for an average brew rig that gets some nominal TLC, runs into the hundreds of batches - AKA, a few cents per batch.

My math is not flawed. In fact, it's clear that you do not understand the difference between fixed and variable costs. Fixed costs are not production dependent. They stay the same for the entire number of units produced. That's why your $735 equipment cost figure is independent on the number of batches brewed. However, fixed cost (on a per unit basis) decreases as the number of units produced increase.

The equipment cost (read fixed) on a per batch basis becomes $33.41, $31.96, $30.63, and ....for each subsequent batch. The value is not zero at the 22nd batch; it's $33.41.

The aggregate sum of both fixed and variable cost result in the total cost of production. This is taught in any beginner level financial accounting or microeconomics course. If you run your own business, you should understand the difference between these separate costs.

If you calculate it your way, you repeatedly pay for the equipment. Amortization only works if you have a set term, or do it over the equipments lifespan.

No, you're not repeatedly paying for the equipment. It's a fixed cost that is spread over the total number of batches produced at that time. In your example, the unit cost per batch will decrease. However, the unit cost and number of batches should result in $735 independent of the number of batches brewed. The only way it would change is if you bought additional equipment.

Also, amorization can occur over any selected period. In brewing, it makes the most sense to amortize the cost of equipment over the current number of batches produced if you're trying to paint a true picture of cost for that batch. If you're only concerned with variable costs of brewing, that's a different story. Either way, only considering variable costs (malt, hops, yeast, water, propane, etcetera) is not a good way to truly evaluate the total cost involved in brewing.

You've made a fatal mistake in your math - if calculating cost-recovery, you do not incorporate equipment costs into the per-batch cost - to do so is to pay for the equipment twice.

I'm not trying to determine when the equipment is paid off. I'm trying to determine the total cost required to brew beer on a per batch basis. You're making a mistake by trying to combine the two methods in order to justify your savings in brewing a batch of beer compared to what you can buy. They're two separate entities.

And since neither I, nor my blog, are American, one has to wonder why you'd take me to task for not using American bottles...

Even using Canadian bottles, you're not pouring 60 bottles from 20L.

You're assigning your motivations onto the actions of others. For some homebrewers, saving money could very well be the name of the game.

I'm not assigning any motivations. I'm just trying to point out that getting into beer brewing to save money is probably not a wise decision. If that's the sole motivation for getting into brewing, you should consider all costs. It might be wise for that person to brew with a friend that brews before investing in the equipment and the time involved to produce a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Only if your crazy enough to claim that you're saving money by homebrewing. Otherwise it's just a hobby. Something you do for the love of it.
I've put my numbers up, and I am saving money. The counter argument is that I'm supposed to be applying some sort of dollar value for my time, and that somehow magically overcomes the savings. I don't buy it - I'm not loosing on time that could otherwise derived income, nor is the brewing replacing some other form of value-added hobby.

But even if we buy the argument that the value of the time is roughly equal to the wage of a brewster, my saving amount to 2-3X that of what the equivalent hourly wage over the 5-6 hours of brewing would be. I showed the conversion of my savings to hourly rates, and you're talking $21-$35 (depending on batch size) per hour. I doubt the guys cleaning out the mash tun, or running the bottling line, make that.

Bryan

I gotta admit, as far as hobbies go this is one of my cheaper ones.

Some probably do save money. I think I save money. But I think the question do you save money making beer is just a stupid galling one.

I don't need to drink beer so any money I spend on it whether by making my own our buying it is technically "wasted". If I'm willing to waste money why should I worry saving it? Okay, because one should want to waste less if possible. You are wasting more money if you buy beer at one place than the same beer at a discount place where the same beers are cheaper. Okay, but drinking my beer and drinking a commercial beer are entirely different experiences! It's not that one is cheaper than another; it's that they entirely different things!

And... well, it just gets more galling the more I think about it.

I've probably spent close to $300 in brewing gear and over half of that was due to the grain mill and wort chiller that I bought new. Everything else was a cheap purchase from craigslist or was free from people who gave up the hobby.

I like simple beers and buy grains, hops and yeast in bulk. I brew 5 gallon BIAB boils indoors on a stove top using tap water in a cheap aluminum tamale style pot. I don't keg and I don't even pay for bottle caps since I use flip tops. I don't have an expensive fermentation chamber. I just use a simple swamp cooler tub with bottles of iced tap water that I swap out. Runoff water from the wort chiller, I reuse in my laundry. Everything works well.

If I ever gave up this hobby, I'll probably be able to sell everything back for half if not more. In my mind that is so low for a hobby that continues to give me pleasure that the initial equipment costs are trivial. I don't really focus on cost but value for money i.e I'd hate to buy something expensive if I don't use it or it doesn't improve things dramatically.

My per batch costs are probably less than $15 all inclusive of fuel and water. I'm not in this hobby to save money but to make great beer that suits my palate and for the challenge and variety it brings.

The savings I do make over buying craft beer at Bevmo is really an added bonus.

I've put my numbers up, and I am saving money. The counter argument is that I'm supposed to be applying some sort of dollar value for my time, and that somehow magically overcomes the savings. I don't buy it - I'm not loosing on time that could otherwise derived income, nor is the brewing replacing some other form of value-added hobby.

I'll try another tack before giving up.

Lets pretend we live in a world where you as a homebrewer can sell your beer. I come to you and request that you make me 10 gallons of homebrew. Your equipment has the capacity to do both 5 and 10 gallon batches and I am asking for 10 gallons of the same recipe/beer. Do you make 2-5 gallon batches or 1-10 gallon batch? Why?

Certain things in life are self evident:

Many people fudge on how long it takes them to drive from one place to another. Usually it's one-upmanship (I'd guess).

Many people fudge on their gambling losses and winnings. If every friend that told me he "broke even" in Vegas actually did so, they'd never be able to afford those buildings that you can see from outer space.

Many people who advocate brewing beer to save money fudge on the numbers, undervalue what they spent on equipment, get the cheapest grain, hops, propane, electricity and H20 known to mankind, never use Whirlfloc, brewing salts, or other misc. Never pay for yeast, never pay for water, and brew beers that would cost you 120 for a 5G keg for 15 bucks.

;)

Yes, I can brew a Pliny the elder clone for 35 bucks. But no, I don't save money overall from my hobby. Luckily I didn't have to lie to my swmbo to cajole her into approving my hobby.

Many people who advocate brewing beer to save money fudge on the numbers, ...

Contrarywise people who claim homebrewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish are equally exagerating.

Basically it's a pointless question. The circuitous route in which you plop the money in and pop the beer out just defies any sense to the statement.

You can make Pliny the elder clone for 35 but you can't buy it by the case-full and ... well, come on. And then you do got to take the equipment and ... well, imediately why bother... I *know* at this point I'm not going to care what the answer is.

You can make Pliny the elder clone for 35 but you can't buy it by the case-full and ... well, come on. And then you do got to take the equipment and ... well, imediately why bother... I *know* at this point I'm not going to care what the answer is.

Good thing, because I can't even decipher the question.

The counter argument is that I'm supposed to be applying some sort of dollar value for my time, and that somehow magically overcomes the savings.

That's not what I said. I said it depends on the value you put on your time. Cost and value doesn't automatically translate to dollars and cents, at least for me...

go buy a batch of what you drink/brew. not a bottle and the math per ounce but actually buy 5 10 or 15 gallons, not look up prices but actually acquire the beer (like home brewers actually acquire the ingredients), beer in hand.
don't forget to add the cost of gas, tax and the time it takes. (homebrewers seem to be held to adding in their time). if you're buying a keg don't forget to add in the costs of that interest free pawn loan with pickup AND delivery, ahem "deposit" your giving the brewery

total price of buying vs brewing might shock you

I suppose that we're not quite finished flogging this dead parrot yet, are we?

And this is but one of many threads on this very same subject. I'm feeling tired and shagged out after a long squawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
My math is not flawed. In fact, it's clear that you do not understand the difference between fixed and variable costs.
I understand them very well, having been a partner in a handful of biotech startups, and through operating an academic imaging facility at my primary job. Equipment is not considered a fixed cost - with the sole exceptions of leased equipment, loan repayments, and maintenance expenses. By definition, fixed costs are costs which comprise a fixed proportion of total production costs - i.e. reoccurring costs that are consistent - salaries, rent, maintenance, etc. The dollar value of fixed costs can, and does, fluctuate - i.e. doubling your workforce to double production would double your salaries (a fixed cost); despite that salaries are considered 'fixed' as their proportion of total costs generally remains constant (i.e. doubling your employee number = double salary cost, but also = double production/double production costs).

Equipment purchase is a one-time or term-ameliorated cost, rather than a reoccurring cost that is fixed relative to total production costs - i.e. it is not a fixed cost. They are sometimes referred to as fixed assets, as (depreciation aside) their purchase price and value does not change.

Legally and budgeting-wise, equipment purchase is a capital cost - i.e. a one-time cost which provides a piece of capital (land, property, etc). Depending on how you do your finances, this amounts to a one-time payment, or the cost can be amortized over a defined payment period (i.e. a loan or instalments).

Or, in other words, by any business, financial or legal (e.g. tax) standard, equipment and other fixed assets are not fixed costs, and it makes no sense to factor them into production costs as you do it. Equipment purchase is a capital cost, plain and simple.

No, you're not repeatedly paying for the equipment. It's a fixed cost that is spread over the total number of batches produced at that time. In your example, the unit cost per batch will decrease. However, the unit cost and number of batches should result in $735 independent of the number of batches brewed. The only way it would change is if you bought additional equipment.
But, since equipment is not a fixed cost (unless you're leasing your MLT, or still paying the credit card bill), doing the above is incorrect. The number any business (and us) are interested in is the break-even point - i.e. where the profit (or cost-savings) of a piece of equipment pays for the purchase of the equipment. This is often calculated using a cost-recovery model, as I did in my blog post.

Also, amorization can occur over any selected period. In brewing, it makes the most sense to amortize the cost of equipment over the current number of batches produced if you're trying to paint a true picture of cost for that batch.
That makes no sense at all - doing so leads you to "over-pay" the value of your equipment. Here's a simple example - a new brewer buys a starter kit for $100, and is buying kits for $25. To keep the math simple, lets assume that the purchase of an equivalent amount of beer is $50.

Cost-recovery model:
Equipment cost: $100
Savings per batch: $25

• Batch 1: Remaining equipment cost is $100, $25 saved in cost-recovery is applied to equipment principal
  • Batch 2: Remaining equipment cost is $75, $25 saved in cost-recovery is applied to equipment principal
  • Batch 3: Remaining equipment cost is $50, $25 saved in cost-recovery is applied to equipment principal
  • Batch 4: Remaining equipment cost is $25, $25 saved in cost-recovery is applied to equipment principal
  • Batch 5: Equipment is paid for in cost-recovery, you now get to pocket the difference.

Your model:
  • Batch 1: Batch cost is $100 for equipment, plus $25 for kit = $125/batch
  • Batch 2: Equipment = $100/2 = $50, plus $25 for kit = $75. You've now 'paid' $150 for your equipment.
  • Batch 3: Equipment = $100/3 = $33, plus 25 for kit = $58. You've now 'paid' $183 for your equipment.
  • Batch 'n': Equipment cost = (1/1...n)sum(Equipment cost/n), Batch cost = ingredients + (Equipment cost/n).

Basically, you are adding-back your equipment expense multiple times across the batches - i.e. you are not crediting the amount "paid" in previous batches against the principal cost. Doing the math your way means your per-batch equipment price will asymptotically approach the cost of ingredients as you brew more & more batches - but your assumed cost of the equipment will asymptotically approach infinity since you never reduce your principal.

If you're only concerned with variable costs of brewing, that's a different story. Either way, only considering variable costs (malt, hops, yeast, water, propane, etcetera) is not a good way to truly evaluate the total cost involved in brewing.
But since I accounted for equipment costs using an appropriate cost-recovery model, this 'complaint' is invalid. It is standard accounting practice to account for equipment purchase costs through the expenditure of profits or via cost-recovery.

I'm not trying to determine when the equipment is paid off. I'm trying to determine the total cost required to brew beer on a per batch basis. You're making a mistake by trying to combine the two methods in order to justify your savings in brewing a batch of beer compared to what you can buy. They're two separate entities.
No, they are not. The cost of producing anything - whether at home, or in a business - will have fixed (i.e. you time, if you're going to factor that in), variable (ingredients and other consumables) and capital costs (equipment purchases). To determine the cost of your homebrewing operation you need to account for all of those - together, not separately.

The OP asked for an appraisal of homebrewing costs - and I gave him exactly that. A clear cut analysis of the costs of brewing (both variable and capital), amounts saved, and how that ameliorates over time. Other have pointed out that I didn't account for my time - which is fair - but that too is easily factored into the equitation if you wish to consider it.

Even using Canadian bottles, you're not pouring 60 bottles from 20L.
But, as I clearly stated in both my post & here, I get 60-66 bottles per batch. 20L is a nice way of saying "5imp gal minus losses". But again, I wonder what your point is.

I'm not assigning any motivations. I'm just trying to point out that getting into beer brewing to save money is probably not a wise decision. If that's the sole motivation for getting into brewing, you should consider all costs. It might be wise for that person to brew with a friend that brews before investing in the equipment and the time involved to produce a 5 gallon batch of beer.
While I agree with all of this, I'd point out again that your way of addressing costs doesn't work. You repeatability "pay" for the equipment, as you never apply the equipment portion of your per-batch cost to the principal.

Bryan

Equipment is the killer. I estimate that since starting back up with homebrew, I've invested about £100 in equipment and bulk chemicals. Obviously I have this equipment now, and I've spread the cost over the last 6 brews, but typical ingredient cost for a 10gal batch is in the region of..

Base malt £4
Extract £4.45
Speciality grains £2
Yeast £1.50
Hops £4

With misc like whirlifloc, irish moss, steriliser, gelatin, sugars etc I'm looking at close to £17. Throw the fuel consumption on there and I'm likely pushing £18-19, round it to £20. I might net 75 bottles from this endeavour. 27p a bottle? If I get loss to trub/hops excessively call it 29-30p a bottle. I can buy good real ale for £1.19 a bottle, Wychwood Goliath and the like. A cheap 'ale' like Manns brown ale is about 89p a bottle, cheaper than buying new bottles in most cases. I'm saving at least 75p a bottle making my own which isn't a staggering amount but over a 10gal batch I'm saving about a days wages less tax.

Of course it takes me 6-7 hours on brewday from start to finish but I do it for fun not financial benefit. Also I drink far more than I would otherwise, otherwise I would drink maybe 3-4 beers a week, instead of the 1-2 a night I currently get through. Also my friends and girlfriend tend to drink for free a lot. I still think it is a cheap hobby, compared to going to the football, eating out, having a boat, liking new cars, going on lots of holidays etc etc. £20 brewday twice a month isn't breaking the bank.

Homebrewing definitely costs me more money. I don't buy that much less beer than before I homebrewed. I just drink more of it.

i will be honest i dont remember the last time i bought a beer unless i was out to eat. If you have enough variety at your house there is no need to go and buy something else. unless of course there is some new beer that you have to try out. I keep about 5-6 different beers at my house to suit pretty much anyone that comes over as well as whatever mood i am in.

i will be honest i dont remember the last time i bought a beer unless i was out to eat. If you have enough variety at your house there is no need to go and buy something else. unless of course there is some new beer that you have to try out. I keep about 5-6 different beers at my house to suit pretty much anyone that comes over as well as whatever mood i am in.

I have well over 12 different homebrews available at my house right now, I also have 3 8' shelves filled with commercial beer 3-4 deep. Your argument is invalid.

That said, this thread is going in circles

We brew because we like it. We work because we have to.

If you brew because you have to, I'll be by tomorrow. Just leave your address.....

It is a huge savings in Canada. A 12 pack of bud is like $20. I can brew 30 beer for about $25. Unfortunately in BC they have a %100 import tax on alcohol so it can get expensive.

I have well over 12 different homebrews available at my house right now, I also have 3 8' shelves filled with commercial beer 3-4 deep. Your argument is invalid.

That said, this thread is going in circles

2 in fermentors, 8 on tap. A case of russian river beers, 1 1/2 cases of mixed other beers (Heady, Jai Lai (tks to my trade partners! Terrapin, Enjoy By, Port Anniversary, FW Anniversary/sucaba/parabola, etc, Oskar Gubna, Flying dog Citra)

2 RR growlers (Pliny and Row 2) and more.

I'm pretty well stocked, but I buy plenty of beer even with 10 completed batches (2 need racking but they're done) on hand.

I have probably spent about $800 on equipment, and considering that I make about 48 beers for about $25-30 when comparable beers would be at least $72 for that many, I will break even with costs of equipment in about 5 batches. and then I do not plan to buy much more after that, as I am pretty set up, so i think it will become a cost saving thing, but really that is just gravy!! because I do it because I enjoy it. It has nothing to do with price.

It is a huge savings in Canada. A 12 pack of bud is like $20. I can brew 30 beer for about $25. Unfortunately in BC they have a %100 import tax on alcohol so it can get expensive.

The Canadian value proposition is a whole different deal. I firmly believe you can save money brewing when beer is twice the price or more as in the states.

I have probably spent about $800 on equipment, and considering that I make about 48 beers for about $25-30 when comparable beers would be at least $72 for that many, I will break even with costs of equipment in about 5 batches. and then I do not plan to buy much more after that, as I am pretty set up, so i think it will become a cost saving thing, but really that is just gravy!! because I do it because I enjoy it. It has nothing to do with price.

5X=$800

X(from your post)= $44.50 (averaged)

5*44.50=222.

You've got to brew almost 4 times what you guessed to make your money back....without upgrading of course....but all that said, I love your reason for brewing. Because when you love brewing, the value of X is irrelevant.

I think a lot of it depends on how expensive and fancy you go. I bought almost everything I make beer with on craigslist.

Fermentation fridge (a large mini fridge) $20
Controller and cables for fermentation fridge $30
10 gallon stainless Brew Pot with valve $45
14.4 cu ft freezer for keezer $100
Controller and cables for freezer $55
Burner on adjustable leg stand $45
10 gallon cooler mash tun/false bottom/valve $85

If I had bought all of that shiny and new it would have cost me 1000 or more, but I spent a third of that. So a lot of it is how patient you are and how much you are willing to shop around.

Now I drink 2-3 beers a day on weekdays and 3-4 on weekends. Lets just say 2.5 for easy math.

2.5 x 365 = 912 beers a year. This doesn't count the beers my friends drink at my house. Now when I go to the beer store I don't buy the cheap stuff. I come home with a lot of leffe, Sam Smith, Weihenstephaner, Murphys, etc. So lets say $2.50 a beer, and that's pretty generous. So,

$2.50 x 912 = $2280 a year in beer.

Now I can make beers for about .50 cents a beer since my water is of good quality and I get 4-5 batches out of a vial of yeast by splitting starters and I make mainly low gravity beers. So

912 *$0.50 = $456 a year in homebrew. That is a savings of $1824 over buying beer. If you add in all of the misc. crap that is necessary for brewing like cleaners, beer line, kegs (they are necessary to me!), fittings, etc, etc, etc. and add the cost of my equipment I still broke even in the first year. I am a big beer drinker so YMMV. Hell, even if I had bought everything brand new I would still break even easily as I have been at this for 8 years now.

And all of that is without factoring in that this is a hobby. Most hobbies are pricey, this one can actually save you money, and you get beer! Win + Win in my book! :mug:

I may not be saving money right now, since I'm still under a year old as a brewer and still collecting my gear, but with that said, I know that my cost per bottle when I brew a 5-6 gallon batch is considerably less than if I was buying craft beer by the 6-pack. True it is not as cheap as the yellow fizzy stuff put out by BMC, but mine tastes a hell of a lot better. Then you factor in the amount that you typically drink (I used to drink 3 of the BMC) and I enjoy 1 or 2 of mine. So mine are lasting longer than the BMC did, that should also factor in as far as cost savings. Fewer trips to the store to buy theirs, means less wear and tear on the car and fuel costs. Plus if you have buddies that don't brew but like your beers, they can buy everything and you keep a few for your time.

I'm usually pretty slow but I am in my first year of brewing and bought a keezer and full ebiab set up for $1,000. I used to by $45 case twice a week equal $1170 annually. If I brew the equivalent at $30 per 5 gal equal $390. ROI just over 1 year. And a daggon good time

Okay, thinking out loud. Beer costs $9 buck a six pack. Make it $10. I've bought $100 on equipment so far. Make it $200. Say it takes $40 to make a batch. That's $5 bucks a six pack. I'll break even in 20 batches or within a year and half.

Well, hot ****.

Within that year I could have save money a dozen times over by ... buying less beer. Eating less ice cream. Not having my cat get pnemonia. By eating less meat. Buy fewer clothes.

It's just a stupid, stupid, stupid comparison.

(Although actually, My beer drinking has gone up four-fold since I started. It just... nyahhh... it just doesn't work.)

5X=$800

X(from your post)= $44.50 (averaged)

5*44.50=222.

You've got to brew almost 4 times what you guessed to make your money back....without upgrading of course....but all that said, I love your reason for brewing. Because when you love brewing, the value of X is irrelevant.

The 5 more batches estimate was based on the fact that I have already brewed about 16 or more 5 gal batches. I was just talking about how much MORE I needed to do.

Back