Homebrew Survey!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopDevil7

Reaction score
As I am relatively new to homebrewing, I thought it'd be a fun experience to get to know some of the fellow homebrewers on here with a short survey of sorts.

1. When did you start brewing?
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)?
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)?
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)?
5. How many best of show awards have you won?
6. How many gold medals have you won?
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won?
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)?

I will start:
1. When did you start brewing? I dabbled in college, but not consistently until December 2016
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 10 batches; 37 gallons
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 0 - but eager to get started
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? NA
5. How many best of show awards have you won? NA
6. How many gold medals have you won? NA
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? NA
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Pliny the Elder Clone (link) favorite/best thus far

Your participation is appreciated! :tank: :rockin:

1. When did you start brewing? 2014
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 150
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 5
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 45 (American Stout)
5. How many best of show awards have you won? 1
6. How many gold medals have you won? 2
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 3 - 2 Golds, Silver Medal at GABF Pro-Am 2016
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? English IPA

1. When did you start brewing? Feb/March 2017?
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 6 batches
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? None Yet
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? NA
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Just packaged a Hefe last weekend that I think is my best so far.

1. When did you start brewing? July 2015
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 90 (3G batches)
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)?1, competition is May 27/28
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? So many to list

1. When did you start brewing? 2011
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 89 - 5 Gallon batches
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? - 5
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? - 42 - Fresh Hopped Red IPA
5. How many best of show awards have you won? - 0
6. How many gold medals have you won? - 1
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 4
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? I love to make my single malt - double hop West Coast IPA's. I like playing with the hop combos. I also just made a PB Oatmeal Stout that turned out fantastic. Also I make a good cream ale.

1. When did you start brewing? 2013
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 20
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 0
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Yoopers Oatmeal Stout,
Blue Moon Clone

1. When did you start brewing? July 1 2011
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 93 batches, most were 5 gallons
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Spaghetti Squash Ale.

1. When did you start brewing? Nov 2016
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 7 batches, 37 gallons
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? None, but would like to sooner than later.
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? N/A
5. How many best of show awards have you won? N/A
6. How many gold medals have you won? N/A
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? N/A
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? It seems to be the most recent one, so currently my coffee stout. I do not have the recipe with me currently.

1. When did you start brewing? January 2016
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 21 batches, 105 gallons
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? N/A
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Anise & Cardamom Smoked Baltic Porter, my own recipe. Although my wife really liked last summer's Berliner Weisse. She claimed the whole batch. If I want a bottle, I have to ask her for one.

1. When did you start brewing? 2011
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 86.5 Gallons - Between 18 mead batches and 22 beer batches
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 0
5. How many best of show awards have you won? 0
6. How many gold medals have you won?0
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won?0
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Blonde Ale with Amarillo http://hivemindmead.com/grain-blonde-ale-version-two/

As I am relatively new to homebrewing, I thought it'd be a fun experience to get to know some of the fellow homebrewers on here with a short survey of sorts.

4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)?

1. Early December, 2015. I remember what it's like to be a newbie.
2. 32 batches, 29 of which are all-grain. Last three, BIAB.
3. 2, if you count my LHBC throwdowns. No formal ones.
4. 0
5. 0
6. 0
7. 0
8. Tossup--Funky Rye, California Common, SMASH. Depends on my mood.

Certainly success in competitions is one way to judge success. There are other ways, too. A local friend has a palate most could kill for, if I can please him with one of my beers, it's just like winning a medal.

Didn't win the German Pils throwdown last month; not enough hoppiness for the style sheet. But when I put a that beer out for sampling, it disappeared. I put out another bottle and the beer in it, too, disappeared. Other bottles sat, half-full. People liked it, came back for more. I don't particularly care for the hop profile, or maybe it's the yeast, but that's just taste. It's clean, it's crystal clear, and what's most important, others like it.

That's a medal to me! :)

Certainly success in competitions is one way to judge success. There are other ways, too. A local friend has a palate most could kill for, if I can please him with one of my beers, it's just like winning a medal.
Heh. I know what you mean. My coworker's SO owns a small brewery, and he regularly gives me tasting notes. When he tried my rauchbier and gave only positive notes, I was pretty delighted.

1. When did you start brewing? November, 2016
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 10 batches, 29 gal
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Toss up between Cream Stout and Best Bitter

TomVA

1. When did you start brewing? On my own: 2015. I've been around it since childhood.
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? A few
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 1
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 46. Brown Porter
6. How many gold medals have you won? 1
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 1
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Brown Porter

1. When did you start brewing? Dabbled when younger, had own setup and went all grain 2014
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 78+ batches since 2014: 65 (3.5gal), 12 (10gal), 1 (7BBL)
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 2
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 38 (Mixed style IPA/Saison), 37 (Barrel Aged Coffee Stout/ non-aged Coffee Stout) 35 (Vienna Lager)
5. How many best of show awards have you won? 0 (made it to Mini-BOS in philly this year but no further)
6. How many gold medals have you won? 0
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 0
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Love 'em all

1. When did you start brewing? March, 2015
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? Too many to remember/~40 gallons
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Chinook IPA & Lagunitas IPA Clone. I posted the Lagunitas clone recipe in another thread. If you do a search, I'm sure you will find it.

1. When did you start brewing? did about 10 batches in 1989-90 then started up again in 2012.
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? Since 2012 140 batches, about 1,250 gallons
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 4
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 41 - got this score for APA and also for an experimental beer
6. How many gold medals have you won? 1
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 4
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Single Hop House Pale Ale. 78% 2-row, 14% Marris Otter, 8% C20, OG 1.054, 55 IBU, US-05 fermented at 68F, FG usually right about 1.010. In an 11 gallon batch hop additions are 2 oz at 10 min and 4 oz in whirlpool (30 min at 180F). Use Rager formula to determine IBU contribution from 10 min and whirlpool addition and then add hop extract at 60 min to bring IBU total to 55. This recipe was originally based on a version of Russian River's hop-2-it that was published by AHA but over time adjusted for my taste and system

Sept '15
50+ batches(5-6 gal each)
35 sweet chocolate stout
IPA with Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo

1)April 2015
2)17 batches, 42 gallons (approximately)
3)-
4)-
5)-
6)-
7)-
8)Either the Centennial Blonde found on this site, or a clone of Devil Mountain Railroad's 5 Malt Ale.

1. When did you start brewing? Spring 2000
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? No idea. Lots
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Fools Gold IPA

1. When did you start brewing? October 2015
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 22 beer 1 cider 1 wine
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? A ESB/Pale ale mix thing I made up. I Call it Extra Special Pale Ale or just Extra Special.

1. When did you start brewing? I started 3 years ago this month. May 2014. While I was in college.
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? I don't even have a good guess for this. 300 or 350 gallons maybe? Spread out over 3 years.
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? N/A
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? My Pumpkin Beer, Dad's Lager and Vienna Lager seem to be the best and the only consistently recurring recipes. The Vienna Lager being my favorite.

Woohoo! I love a good survey!!

1. When did you start brewing? At the very end of 2011 but really 2012
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 80-90
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? I think I got a 35 one time on Youper's APA
5. How many best of show awards have you won? 1 in my homebrew club for an IIPA
6. How many gold medals have you won? none
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 1 for 2nd place overall
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Probably my hop bomb red rye ale or my IryePA.

1. When did you start brewing? May 2015
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 20 batches, mostly 3 gallons each
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Recently did an Early Irish Porter from BYO mag - turned out amazing.

1. When did you start brewing? 2004ish
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 98 is in my book. May be a few more. 5-12 gallons a piece
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 0
6. How many gold medals have you won?0
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won?0
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? I had one I brewed quite awhile ago. I honestly forget the style but I'm thinking a pale ale and I completely forget the hops used, but I remember it was fabulous. Everyone who tried it liked it as well, even a stone cold Pabst fan. Only brewed it that one time. May have to dig through my records...

I did a few extract batches around 2009-10, then took a few years off and jumped back into it with all grain around 2015.

n/a
n/a

n/a

n/a

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

1. When did you start brewing? April 2010
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? Apprx 100
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? approx 15
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 44 on a Doppelbock
6. How many gold medals have you won? 9
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 17
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? my Rye IPA

1. When did you start brewing? 2014
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 150
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 5
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 45 (American Stout)
6. How many gold medals have you won? 2
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 3 - 2 Golds, Silver Medal at GABF Pro-Am 2016
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? English IPA

I hope I'm remembering correctly, but did you collaborate with Starr Hill? I'm pretty sure I had an English IPA at the ProAm booth and wanna say it was Starr Hill.

1. When did you start brewing? 1989
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? Thousands
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 34
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 2nd (India Pale Ale)

7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 7
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged) American Pale Ale

1. When did you start brewing? about 15 years ago
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 100 batches?
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? Not that many, maybe 15?
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 42, a Belgian Golden Strong got a Best of Show Silver Medal
5. How many best of show awards have you won? two silvers
6. How many gold medals have you won? 4
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? maybe 20?
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Right now, I'm enjoying our Altbier on tap and an Imperial Stout that we aged in a 15 gallon bourbon barrel for six months.

1. When did you start brewing? March 2015
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed 10 batches(guess)?
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 1
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!) 37 Sweet Stout
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 1
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Milk Stout

Approx. December 2013 (Mr. Beer kit as a gift) - but more seriously around July 2015.

24 batches not including any ciders.

33.3 - Just got the results this past weekend. The recipe style was a DIPA, but some fellow home brew club members said it could fit the American Strong Ale category too. I entered it into the American Strong Ale b/c I already had another brew in the DIPA category and I could not have two. But the feedback I got from one judge was it probably would have scored better in the DIPA category.

0 - Looking for feedback.

SN Torpedo Clone from BYO.

1: 2014
2: ~60 batches
3: 0
4-7: NA
8: I couldn't pick one. It also depends on the season. The saison I love in the summer won't stand up to a bourbon porter in mid winter. And vice versa

December 2012. Told my GF I was going to buy what I need to start brewing and she told me, "No! that's a great Christmas present". So, I had to wait an extra three months to start but she went into the LHBS in Chico, CA and the guy there guided her through hooking me up pretty good.

somewhere around 35 ish batches of beer (the first few years were slow cuz of college) and about 7 batches of cider. Although, now cider is continuously fermenting in my place so that's rising fast.

28 I think. Same score, same beer, different competitions. Beer was actually really great (a bitter dry hopped porter) judges liked it but I didn't categorize it right in one and described it wrong in the other so lost a few points there. Gave me kind of a bad taste about comps. I'll get back to them if I can keep beer around long enough to bottle off the keg.

This depends so I'll give two. EKG dry hopped bitter porter and Rye honey saison. Although, I make a mean IPA they're just never the same combo of hops.

1. When did you start brewing? 2009 or so
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 250
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)? 20
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)? 41.5 for 2 separates -
A Munich Helles and a Belgian Dark Strong

6. How many gold medals have you won? 9
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won? 29
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? Lately I'm loving my Czech Amber Lager - PM me if you want details, I'm happy to share.

Ans: 2006

Ans: Between 60&100.

Ans: zero. Shipping beer in the mail is illegal.

Ans: imp pumpkin ale. Unfortunately it was a flick and I didn't write the recipe.

1. When did you start brewing?Last Christmas 2016
2. Approximately how many batches and/or gallons have you brewed (guess)? 6 batches for about 40 gallons
3. How many homebrew competitions have you entered in (estimate)?0
4. What was the highest score you've ever achieved at a competition and what was the style (links to recipes encouraged!)?NA
5. How many best of show awards have you won?NA
6. How many gold medals have you won?NA
7. How many total medals (1st - 3rd) have you won?NA
8. What is your favorite/best beer you brew (links to recipes encouraged!)? My favorite so far has been our Red Seal Ale clone. Though I am about to embark on a mission to brew 4 new styles, so we will see!!

Thank you all for the responses. Being a data analytics guy by trade, I owe you guys some survey statistics.

Keep the responses coming!

Latest posts

Back