Homebrew Site....continued

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
Well, I have not been very active around here lately (busy work schedule and all....)

Some of you may or may not remember this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1671

I had begun discussion of creating a recipe tracking system. The premise is to allow users to either upload a recipe from a Promash file, or input one themself. Then we would track ratings and tasting notes, and allow users a really flexible manner to search through the recipe database.

The project got put on hold form a while, but I think you may all be happy to hear I have restarted it.

I have completed the first big task in being able to parse ProMash files. I tried hard to be able to actually use the .rec files that it generates, but could not. Instead, if you use the Print feature in ProMash and export the recipe to a text file, I built a parser that takes the recipe and inputs it into the database. The tough part here was getting all the individual ingredients into a database, but I did that with some homebrewer ingenuity.

With the database structure defined, all I need to do now is begin working on the UI. I have a lot of good ideas about it. I really would love to have it associated with a community, but I don't know much about VBulletin myself. I know IPB, but am hesitant to begin a new community out of respect to this one. I am interested to hear everyone's ideas though.

I'm no computer guru. I'm not even a hack but I can tell you I'd be VERY interested in being able to share my recipes and browse a recipe database. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

Just be careful with how you utilize the promash files. J Donovan (promash creator) has had some pretty heated battles with people doing this sort of thing.
I love the idea, I"d just run it by promash first....you don't wnt any legal trouble....

I dont see why he would have a problem with it. Your using the file that it creates to input that date into a database for everyeon to use. I think that it would help his cause by having more people use it to use this feature to share and track recipes, which you could only do if u buy the program.

And you can't copy write the .rec file format. As long as your not redoing his program he really has no case. And as long as you change 10% of it he can't sue you for pation infrigment.

autoferret said:
I dont see why he would have a problem with it. Your using the file that it creates to input that date into a database for everyeon to use. I think that it would help his cause by having more people use it to use this feature to share and track recipes, which you could only do if u buy the program.

And you can't copy write the .rec file format. As long as your not redoing his program he really has no case. And as long as you change 10% of it he can't sue you for pation infrigment.
Agreed. If it were presented to the ProMash folks properly, I would think they would love it. They could sell more copies of their program.

I think the difference is that I am not touching their .rec file format. I am just parsing through the text file that the program generates to update a database with ingredients etc.

I would be seriously disappinted if a Sausalito Brewing decided this was an infingement upon their product.

I am glad to hear that you guys are interested in the idea, guess I need to get back in touch with the Admin again.....

Anyone interested in working on the project with me? Send me a PM.....

Back