Homebrew Label(s) Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyMosher

Reaction score
Greetings, my artistic homebrewing friends,

Many of you know me through my books or personally from homebrewing events over the last few years. I want to include your perspective in my new book.

It's a comprehensive homebrewing book called "Mastering Homebrew" that we expect to be finished this year. We are in the process of adding some visual material to demonstrate how exciting this hobby really is. I'm writing to ask for your help and offer an opportunity to showcase your creativity. Here's how:

LABELS! I NEED HOMEBREW LABELS

I know many of you have produced some funny, outrageous, subtle, sophisticated and very personal homebrew labels, because I've collected a lot of them along the way already. I would really love to be able to showcase these in my book. So please send me computer files of the flat labels (see below for file details). If you have a photo of a labeled bottle in use, as a still life, or in any other situation, those could be useful as long as the label is the main element in the picture.

Please note that I need these to be entirely created by you or someone you're close to and will formally request permission. Because of ownership issues, I cannot use labels that incorporate images using other peoples' art that was downloaded from the Internet or wherever.

PREFERRED FILE FORMATS

As a graphic designer, I can work with most any graphic format.

Label art can be sent as image files (TIFF, JPEG, PSD, etc.). Just be sure that the file is at least 300 dpi at the full size of the label. RGB or CMYK files are OK, and if you save as a JPEG, save it at least at a "9" quality for best reproduction. I can accept AI files up to version CS5 if you prefer (make sure to convert fonts and include placed images).

ACT NOW

Because of a tight production schedule, I need your labels with the next week or two.

INFORMATION NEEDED

Along with the label(s), please send the following

Name of person who created the label
and if applicable:
Name of person who took the photograph
Approximate date
Club affiliation (if any)
City, state, country, etc.
Caption info, if explanation is needed
Name(s) of any people visible in photos

LEGAL STUFF

My publisher will require a release allowing the use of this material only for the purposes of this book. We will try to make it as simplified as possible, but I expect it will sound a little scary, as legal documents sometimes do. I'll send this release for you to sign if I will be including your work in the book.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?

While I regret that there are not enough resources available to pay you all for your time and effort, I will do my best to do what I can to make it worth your while. Of course, your name will appear in this book, so there is a little bit of fame for you. I also pledge 30 personally signed and dedicated copies of the book to the pool of accepted entries, and those will be allotted as follows: 15 copies will go to the people I feel have the most fantastic labels based on overall appeal, creativity and execution. The other 15 will be randomly drawn from the rest of the pool, so you have chance wither way. I will also create some special prize for the best designer/brewer overall, again based on my irrational whims.

ABOUT THE BOOK

It's called "Mastering Homebrew," a comprehensive brewing book that covers all the bases, but focuses especially on ingredients, flavor and recipe formulation, and creative brewing from an international point-of-view. Should be available this fall.

I hope to hear from you soon. My email is: randymosher (at) rcn (dot) com.

--Randy

http://randymosherdesign.com
http://radicalbrewing.com
Tasting Beer (soon in a Chinese language edition!)
Coming Fall 2014: Mastering Homebrew and A Beer for All Seasons
http://5RabbitBrewery.com

Back