Homebrew hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Since I started drinking homebrew a year ago I've noticed the hangovers are much worse vs drinking commercial beer. The tradeoff is worth drinking great beer however. Anybody else have the same experience?

Its the opposite for me. I get less hangover off my own brews, but I also swirl up the dredges and drink them after I pour to get those sweet hangover preventing b vitamins.

It's the same for me, I have noticed my hangovers are not as bad when over indulging on home brew vs commercial.

If you are drinking enough water, and still getting headaches, you are probably just consuming way to much alcohol.

I agree with Xpert. If you get fusel alcohols and different fermentation by-products, you may have a worse hangover.

If you have a pretty clean fermentation, however, it should be the opposite. Like some have said on here, brewers yeast has quite a bit of Vitamin B12 (i think?). Typically, that coupled with dehydration = hangover. So yeast should help. In commercial brews, it's cold filtered out.

If you are not having a clean fermentation and getting by products like fusel alcohols, you should expect a worse hangover.

I agree with Xpert. If you get fusel alcohols and different fermentation by-products, you may have a worse hangover.

If you have a pretty clean fermentation, however, it should be the opposite. Like some have said on here, brewers yeast has quite a bit of Vitamin B12 (i think?). Typically, that coupled with dehydration = hangover. So yeast should help. In commercial brews, it's cold filtered out.

I have clean fermentations all the way :)

Some hops seem to be horrendous the next day and I' not talking about the head.

Interesting...

I don't get hangovers from beer. Combination of being young (26) and from Wisconsin (drink Wisconsinbly), I've got a solid tolerance. I'm only hung-over if I get a running start with some Whiskey.

I think I'm actually the opposite. Bud/Miller give me headaches now... Craft and homebrew is my preferance. I think I drink more responsibly because I get full before I get drunk. :drunk:

If you don't get hangovers from beer then you are running with the wrong crew. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin' you can't mend your ways....

I don't get headaches from drinking a lot my beers or most craft beers, but I do get poor sleep and my brain doesn't work very well for a few hours when I get up.

Fusels have been mentioned, what about acetaldehyde? Is their any green apple taste/aroma in what you're drinking and then getting the hangover from?

A friend of mine gets pretty ill from beer with any noticeable acetaldehyde profile.

Just a thought. Personally, if I drink smart, homebrew and commercial beer have about the same impact. Same with homebrew wine and commercial wine...come morning, too much red makes me want to be dead...DIY or if I buy...

Interesting...

I don't get hangovers from beer. Combination of being young (26) and from Wisconsin (drink Wisconsinbly), I've got a solid tolerance. I'm only hung-over if I get a running start with some Whiskey.

I think I'm actually the opposite. Bud/Miller give me headaches now... Craft and homebrew is my preferance. I think I drink more responsibly because I get full before I get drunk. :drunk:

Spotted cow all of a sudden started giving me hangover headaches after drinking a few the night before. I'm assuming its because of the corn, but I have no idea.

Off topic but my wife got me a "Drink wisconsinibly" sweatshirt for Christmas. Packer colors even!

For me I've noticed that I don't get hangovers as easily or they aren't as bad but when I do get a hangover it ends up being a horrible all day hangover

The major reason I enjoy craft brew and home fees is because of the lessening of the hangover. I went 10 years getting horrible hangovers from just a few drinks, strangely if I had 12 or more I was fine, but now craft and Homebrew have brought me back to enjoying beer during the week.

I don't get hangovers from my home brew. I thought it was just me, but my buddy has sworn off commercial beers and now only drinks mine...just for that reason.

Homebrew gas is about the worst I get if I have gone a few months without one. Copious, but only mildly nose watering....except to my pregnant wife who now has the nose of a bloodhound. For her they are now close to vomit worthy

Homebrew gas is about the worst I get if I have gone a few months without one. Copious, but only mildly nose watering....except to my pregnant wife who now has the nose of a bloodhound. For her they are now close to vomit worthy

Best lay off the Dutch Oven gag then, if possible. :D

Spotted cow all of a sudden started giving me hangover headaches after drinking a few the night before. I'm assuming its because of the corn, but I have no idea.

Off topic but my wife got me a "Drink wisconsinibly" sweatshirt for Christmas. Packer colors even!

Awesome! I've seen them around. I love that quote.

I'm actually brewing a cream ale modeled after Spotted Cow this weekend! It's modeled after it, but I tweaked a few things.

...I don't know. Could be the corn I guess. But Miller Lite also has corn. Does that give you headaches too?

Good to see another Appleton guy! Are you part of the ALE club or anything?

I've only had a hangover from homebrews once or twice and I drink homebrew at least 5 nights a week. I usually feel fine if I drink a lot of beer in the afternoon but stop drinking beer at least 2 hours before bed and drink water. Otherwise I just have to go easy on it if I'm going to crash after the last beer.

My homebrew would give me headaches when I didn't temp control the fermentation and fusels were developed. I haven't had any problems since I got my mini fridges to ferment in.

I only get hangovers based on volume.

As an aside, since I started kegging, I have noticed that each batch doesn't last as long. That visible reminder of having bottles lined up drying after rinse served as a pretty good prompt as to how many I'd had. Now that I just top off once or twice, it seems that I might be losing track.

I don't get horrible headaches/hangovers from homebrew, or any beer. However, overindulgence with red wine makes me lose the next day.

As for the gas thing.. never experienced that. I too find that if I stop drinking for at least 1 hour and drink a lot of water before going to bed, I usually wake up the next morning feeling OK.

And yes.. I drink too much. I'm Canadian.

Could you get your beer to a BJCP judge? They might be able to detect the compound in your beer giving you the problem

I know it has nothing to do with off flavors or hot alcohol. My fermentation temps are always spot on. Maybe I should drink more water in between. Also it's been a while since I've had commercial beer, so maybe I should do another comparison.

Whell I have a christmas ale that's giving me a headache! It's all grain biab. I have a fermentation chamber, fermented at about 65. I don't remember screwing anything up. I did ferment about 6 gallons, a little more than usual, may not have been a clean fermentation. It taste good. The first time I got a headache I thought I drank to much. Had some last night and had the worse headache ever this morning. It took 3 hours to get over it. Can over attenuating cause it? Any advise appreciated!

Whell I have a christmas ale that's giving me a headache! It's all grain biab. I have a fermentation chamber, fermented at about 65. I don't remember screwing anything up. I did ferment about 6 gallons, a little more than usual, may not have been a clean fermentation. It taste good. The first time I got a headache I thought I drank to much. Had some last night and had the worse headache ever this morning. It took 3 hours to get over it. Can over attenuating cause it? Any advise appreciated!

What was your FG and mash temps?

I know it has nothing to do with off flavors or hot alcohol. My fermentation temps are always spot on.

Temp is not the only way fusels/high alcohols are developed, underpitching, bad water chemistry, using an adjunct or mutated yeast can also do the same. I am also highly sensitive to fusel/high alcohols and will get a headache nearly instantly even in nearly undetectable amounts.

This still does not cover if you can taste every off flavor and it's precursors correctly. I would join a HBC and take em a 6er to sample and/or enter some into a BJCP comp.

Back