Home brew buzz VS commercial buzz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I have noticed, especially since I started kegging beer 10 plus years ago, is that one can lose track of their actual drink count.

When drinking commercial, usually there is a body count left behind with either cans or bottles, but when you are just pulling pints at home, one can certainly lose track of those. I have had my share of those mornings where you wake up a lot more damaged than you thought you would be. Then you have to start doing some math.
Man, this was, like, all of 2020 and 2021 for me. It took its toll on my mental health, that's for sure. I went back to using smaller glasses. The psychological affect is pretty powerful. Plus, like another said, you can bounce around taps more without getting f*cked up. Having said that, I still oftentimes give myself good healthy pours when I'm feeling like pounding some beers. And I've got 4 taps!

I guess I should just speak for myself then. I started brewing 5 months ago. At that time I was drinking 3-7 IPAs a day and having varying degrees of hangover every morning. Now I’m drinking 5 gallons a week and haven’t had a hangover in 5 months. Based on comments I’ve read in this forum I thought that was a universal experience for home brewers but I stand corrected. Still there’s got to be some explanation. Maybe 20 7%ers is an over exaggeration but not by a lot.
Jesus, dude. That's an extremely excessive amount of brew. Maybe you're just in a perpetual state of hangover that you don't even notice it, and that becomes your baseline of "feeling ok"? Not trying to be your doctor, but damn... maybe take it easy on the 5 gallons a week?

But still less than half of what he originally claimed.
I never claimed to drink 20 beers a night every night. Week nights 3 or 4. Friday and Saturday 15 or so, maybe 20 I don’t really count them, and I wasn’t trying to brag about it. I’m surprised this is so controversial in a brew forum. I know plenty of people who drink a suitcase of bmc in a sitting. Anyway this was supposed to be a scientific thread

5 gallons per week = 40 pints per week = 5.7 pints per day

Seems like a lot.

🤷‍♂️
Don’t care what you think bro. It’s not uncommon at all for me to put away 20 beers. And when I say beers I mean 12oz beers, as compared to the beers you buy commercially at the beer store. And when I say 5 gallons a week, most of that is Friday and Saturday night. 15 or so in 8 hours is not even hard to do if you like beer. What’s hard is not drinking that much

One thing I have noticed, especially since I started kegging beer 10 plus years ago, is that one can lose track of their actual drink count.

When drinking commercial, usually there is a body count left behind with either cans or bottles, but when you are just pulling pints at home, one can certainly lose track of those. I have had my share of those mornings where you wake up a lot more damaged than you thought you would be. Then you have to start doing some math.
Righto friend. I actually stuck a dry erase thing on my keezer so I could tally my drinks but it took about 2 days to say f that. A I don’t need my wife judging me and 2 what’s the difference. I’m not going to cut myself off… and maybe I’m better off not knowing. This brewing thing is supposed to be fun, ammaright

Jesus, dude. That's an extremely excessive amount of brew. Maybe you're just in a perpetual state of hangover that you don't even notice it, and that becomes your baseline of "feeling ok"? Not trying to be your doctor, but damn... maybe take it easy on the 5 gallons a week?
There is probably some truth to that. I would imagine that my baseline is different from a completely sober person’s baseline. But also a serious hangover is impossible to miss. I used to get them, now I don’t. The amount of **** that I get done in a day I would put up against any sober normie out there. My body metabolizes my brew like it’s a life saving elixir. I don’t know why but I like it

I’m sure we can all agree that drinking homebrew is different than drinking commercially produced beer. The buzz for one seems a bit less disorienting and I can drink 20 of them in a night- yes even at 7% ABV and not have a hangover in the morning.

What are your hypotheses about why that is?
You're an alcoholic. Or from Australia.

Typical Colorado craft breweries may be…
Or from Colorado.

I never claimed to drink 20 beers a night every night. Week nights 3 or 4. Friday and Saturday 15 or so, maybe 20 I don’t really count them, and I wasn’t trying to brag about it. I’m surprised this is so controversial in a brew forum.
Seriously man, you're an extremist. Most homebrewers are in it for the craft, not for hangover-free binge sessions. Please be careful and never drink & drive.

To me it sounds like you are increasing your alcohol consumption and becoming acclimated to it. This is dangerous, and it has nothing to do with any perceived difference between homebrew or commercial.

I've lost family members to alcoholism. You would be doing yourself and your loved ones a huge favor by taking a critical look at your relationship with alcohol.

Not to pile on but I have to agree with the others. Twenty beers 1-2 nights a week, on top of daily consumption, is definitely going to affect your health. My 3-5 daily sometimes concerns me, even though I tend to brew 5% or below beers.

Original poster didn’t drink 20 7% beers, home brew or commercial. He just lost count after 4 or 5. If it was at a brewery and bar tab says 20, his friend drank 15 and had a good laugh.
Yes, commercial breweries put some terrible stuff in beer, such as sulfates. That’s why I rarely drink store-bought wine. Two ounces gives me a headache in less than 10 minutes. I’ve had a very few “craft” beers do the same, especially stouts. Fusel alcohol in garbage beer like Busch can do the same.

Say I was to modify my post to say I drink 6 beers and feel no hangover vs commercially produced craft beer… Then could we discuss reasons why this may be?

Original poster didn’t drink 20 7% beers, home brew or commercial. He just lost count after 4 or 5. If it was at a brewery and bar tab says 20, his friend drank 15 and had a good laugh.
Yes, commercial breweries put some terrible stuff in beer, such as sulfates. That’s why I rarely drink store-bought wine. Two ounces gives me a headache in less than 10 minutes. I’ve had a very few “craft” beers do the same, especially stouts. Fusel alcohol in garbage beer like Busch can do the same.
I 100% lost count after 4 or 5. My reason for guesstimating about 20 is A. 20 over the course of 8 hours is about 2.25 per hour which seems about right and B. If I tapped a 5 gallon keg on Friday and floated it on Wednesday and didn’t drink much during the week than I must’ve had about 2 gallons on Friday and a gallon and a half on Saturday… Also if my friend can have a laugh drinking 15 why can’t I?

That being said I wasn’t referring to piss beers. Craft is all I drink. If I pound 4 or 5 Voodoo Rangers at 7:5% in 2 hours I will wake up hungover af. If I pound 4 or 5 homebrews at 7.5% in hours I will wake up good to go. Not saying it’s not sulfates, could be

You're an alcoholic. Or from Australia.

Or from Colorado.

Seriously man, you're an extremist. Most homebrewers are in it for the craft, not for hangover-free binge sessions. Please be careful and never drink & drive.
Pretty funny coming from a Wisconsinite. The most alcoholic state in America. But yes I do enjoy my beers, and no I don’t drink and drive. And I am also 100% in it for the craft. I’m going to open a brewery and my beer is going to be so good that everyone is going to be drinking 20 beers a night. Even the stiffs up in Wisconsin 😂

If I tapped a 5 gallon keg on Friday and floated it on Wednesday and didn’t drink much during the week than I must’ve had about 2 gallons on Friday and a gallon and a half on Saturday…
I you tap a 5 gallon keg on Friday and float it on Wednesday without sharing any then you are in fact an alcoholic, and a selfish one to boot.
20 over the course of 8 hours is about 2.25 per hour
At least you finally answered the question from two days ago. 8 hours is much different than 4 or even six. But that's still a pretty unhealthy pace. Not for the first hour but definitely for the eighth. The lightweight bootleggers are all going to outlive you, probably by a lot.

What are your hypotheses about why that is?
i skipped to the post reply, again maybe....drinking homebrew helps a person think for themselves to the lizard people....

edit: but if you're drinking 20 of them, you need to learn about vitamins and nutrition also....other wise they will take you out!

I you tap a 5 gallon keg on Friday and float it on Wednesday without sharing any then you are in fact an alcoholic, and a selfish one to boot.

At least you finally answered the question from two days ago. 8 hours is much different than 4 or even six. But that's still a pretty unhealthy pace. Not for the first hour but definitely for the eighth. The lightweight bootleggers are all going to outlive you, probably by a lot.
Maybe so, maybe not

Don’t take it personal, it was concern (at least from me). When you’re in this hobby long enough you’ll notice a lot of systems go up for sale, whole setup all at once. Guess the #1 reason why.
My guess would be that brewing beer doesn’t grant one immortality.

@kennyconley0269, hang in there buddy. This is a pretty good place. There is a lot of knowledge floating around. Don’t take the lectures personal, some genuinely care and some just can’t keep themselves from helping others live their lives. If you want to drink 20 or 15 or 10, I say, as long as you’re not driving or beating up your family, let’em rip.

i skipped to the post reply, again maybe....drinking homebrew helps a person think for themselves to the lizard people....

edit: but if you're drinking 20 of them, you need to learn about vitamins and nutrition also....other wise they will take you out!
Yeah I didn’t think about that

@kennyconley0269, hang in there buddy. This is a pretty good place. There is a lot of knowledge floating around. Don’t take the lectures personal, some genuinely care and some just can’t keep themselves from helping others live their lives. If you want to drink 20 or 15 or 10, I say, as long as you’re not driving or beating up your family, let’em rip.
Thanks Kickass. You’re invited to my brew day. It happens every Friday and is followed by drinking as much ****ing beer as you want before getting up hangover free Saturday morning and snowboarding all day. Because life is good when you’re not a *****

Latest posts

Back