Homebrew at a charitable event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mute_Ant_Brew

Reaction score
Plans are being made for me to host a charitable event for a local organization i am a part of. We are planning a home brew competition. We will be asking attendees to consider donating an amount of money while in attendance. Id like to serve my homebrew at this event, obviously w/o charge.
Where can i run into issues legally and how can i avoid those issues?
This is in Wisconsin

Is the event in a "public place"?
Is a charitable event considered a "commercial purpose"?
The following may apply:
No one can sell alcohol beverages (or give away for a commercial purpose) or allow consumption in a public place without getting the appropriate license or permit.

Source:

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/faqs/ise-atlicns.aspx

Last year there was a charitable event in Wisconsin where homebrew was offered,
perhaps contact them for tips?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/brews-for-autism-charity-event-july-10th.624161/

Contact some local Homebrew clubs.....they should know your local laws. Here in California it is pretty loose. I pour Homebrew at charity events on a pretty regular basis. T-shirt sales is how I make my money back.

You'll need the special event permit, likely, and here where I live, we can have a ticketed event, even for the sole purpose of serving homebrew, however, there is the disclaimer that you don't actually need a ticket to sample the beer. That goes in the extra fine print, and a pitcher is kept near the door where they check tickets, just in case.

Laws vary greatly by state and are generally nonsensical. Safest to contact your local Sheriff or police chief. In Colorado they do a “Tips” training that’s mandatory if you are checking ID/serving (though not well enforced) which will cover what you can and can’t do. Never hurts to reach out to those who could bust you for advice, they feel like you actually care and want to do the right thing and you find out their enforcement policies, which most of the time are more important than the actual laws.

Back