Home question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Hi guys. Purchased my first home about two years ago and never really paid attention to this until recently since I got a dog and he’s been playing around it. I have two of these pipes raises out of the ground in my back yard. Can anyone tell me what they are? I’m pretty clueless so I would appreciate the help! I didn’t notice them during the home inspection otherwise I would have asked.
IMG_1863.JPG

Hi guys. Purchased my first home about two years ago and never really paid attention to this until recently since I got a dog and he’s been playing around it. I have two of these pipes raises out of the ground in my back yard. Can anyone tell me what they are? I’m pretty clueless so I would appreciate the help! I didn’t notice them during the home inspection otherwise I would have asked.
View attachment 636680
Dig them up and put new poles for your hop trellis!

If you can't dig them up (like if they're encased in concrete), take a big hammer and pound down the rims of the pipes to roll over those edges and keep it low. You don't want to accidentally step on that barefoot.

That has to be an air vent for Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers (CHUD). There is no other possible explanation.

They were probably poles for a clothes line. The actual locations and distance apart would probably confirm that as a practical explanation.

99% this. I removed two of them a long time ago from an old home.

There will likely be a largish ball of concrete at the bottom of that pole. I dug the concrete out then buried in the easement behind the house. I was sodding the yard and didn't want to regret leaving them there.

My guess would be a buried heating oil tank from days gone by.

Why?
Looks like there are threads remaining for a cap. The existence of two might indicate otherwise unless one was a vent. Cleveland (if that is where you are) is an older city towards the North where heating oil would have been prevalent. If the home is older it might be more likely. Usually located not too far from the house.

Markers for buried treasure. Keep digging until you find the pirate's gold!

My nephews were digging in the dried out dirt over my moms septic tank cover for “gold”. I asked if they could smell it and they were taking turns getting right down in the hole and trying.

I have second the clothes line. No threads but looks like concrete on the pipe and it is cheap pipe not the kind you would use for anything important like a tank. And definatly not radon it is uncovered and filled with water.

Back