Home made hop filter - plumbing attachments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentgonzo

Reaction score
I made a hop filter a while ago by getting a section of copper pipe, crimping one end in a vice and then drilling a load of holes in it - works like a charm (and saved me about £9!).

I'm now wanting to put as S-bend in it (like you get in the commercial ones) so that the hop filter will sit on the base of the kettle and allow the collection of wort from the very bottom, and not about 1½inches above it.

I've got some elbow joints kicking around from plumbing that would do the job fine, but they are the ones with the solder/flux embedded into the joint so that all you have to do is braise them. Will this solder be a problem in the wort (given that it'll be boiled in the wort for about 90 minutes each brew). I know that solder contains lead, so don't want put something in that will damage the brew or to poison myself (in order of importance here!).

Any comments?

A lot of solder is lead-free now. I'm not sure about the pre-soldered fittings, but I bet they're lead-free, too. Hopefully someone else can verify.

I've seen those joints with the solder/flux in them, and they were lead-free. However, I'd doublecheck at the place you bought them just to be sure.

Grimsawyer said:
Lead = bad... ever wonder what happened to the kid next door that use to eat the paint chips?:drunk:
I think that kid is Cheesefood.

If you bought the fittings any time in the last 10 years (maybe even 20 or 30), they're surely lead free. No one uses lead solder anymore. I say, go for it.

Back