home grown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidLunch5211

Reaction score
I live in New England and I am thinking about growing my own hops. If anyone has any input on this I would love to hear it. Where is a good place to buy a starter plant? For the home growers have you been successful in growing at in your yard and what advice do you have?
Thanks

IMO you want to use almost all homegrown hops for flavor and aroma because the homegrown hops will have a varying AA and you will not know until you use them how bitter they are. (Kinda like how one year you can have huge sweet strawberries and the next they are smaller and not as sweet.) You can have your hops tested but it is expensive to have done.

There are other vendors but I preordered mine through FHBS because I have ALWAYS gotten great service. This is the preorder thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/hop-rhizomes-pre-order-fhb-293933/

All of the bigger online vendors should start taking rhizome preorders pretty soon, if they haven't already. Preorders usually start in the winter, and they usually stop selling by early spring.

The previous posts mentioned pre-orders for rhizomes. It's important that you look at the different vendors that are selling rhizomes, and then I would recommend placing a pre-order; they usually go fast.

My hops vine that got full sun did much better than the three that only got partial sun... Keep them as sunny as possible!

I'm very excited to finish my passive solar greenhouse/home this summer, homegrown hops would be so exciting to grow

Back