Home Depot Keezer Buying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigmund

Reaction score
First off, I'm not pushing HD, but since they treated me right, and it might help some others, I figured I'd pass this along.

My fridge died a few weeks ago and I wanted to start a keezer project and saw that the GE 5 cu ft was the size freezer I needed for my setup and started checking locally. I found out the local Sam's had them for $194 and that was about the best i was going to do so i headed out last Sat. with a stop at HD first for some paint supplies. They had the same freezer on the floor but the price was $229. I tried to see if the display could be had for less but it couldn't, so I told the woman that I was just going to get it at Sam's. She told me they price match items in stock with other stores and that if the Sam's freezer was the same, they would meet or beat the price, after which she checked online and confirmed the price and model. She comes back to me and says "how about $178 for the freezer?". I was shocked and bought it on the spot. I didn't ask for the extra savings, didn't know they price matched, and probably never would have asked anyway, but wasn't going to turn it away either. Hopefully someone else can use this info if they are at HD to their advantage.

Yep. HD price matches plus 10%. Always have. I know because I used to be a manager at Menards(big midwest competitor) and we would price match plus 11% just to one up them.:D

I guess I'm not too shopping savvy and figured there might be a few others out there like me that might not realize the savings available.

What I think would be awesome is if you were able to get big box stores that price match to negotiate for your purchase like go to lows and be like Home Depot offered me this what can you do? It would just be fun to see how low you could get stuff

i cant wait to move! i need more room for a keezer build. i do alot of my shopping at HD and didnt know that they price matched. thanks for the heads up.

What I think would be awesome is if you were able to get big box stores that price match to negotiate for your purchase like go to lows and be like Home Depot offered me this what can you do? It would just be fun to see how low you could get stuff

They won't do it. I used to get people all the time who wanted to play that game between HD and my store. If we were lower, HD would give them 10% off our price. We made sure we were exact on every price between us and HD. Everyone else we set our prices to beat them by a penny. If there was a price that we were lower on and they were going to get the 10% off from HD, I told them to go ahead. I just told them that we were lower in the first place and HD was trying to rip them off if they didn't notice.

I had a similar scenario when I was commission sales for a flooring store. Empire Direct quoted my customer $4000 for a room of flooring and I quoted them $3600 for the same flooring without knowing about the other quote. They went to cancel the Empire quote and they came back at $3200. My customer was going to go with them until I told them that my price was fair to start with and I wasn't trying to rip them off. When a place comes down that much, they were trying to rip them off with the first price. That customer went with my quote.

Latest posts

Back