Holy S**t! Bar Keepers Friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleanEmUpIves

Reaction score
This stuff cleans stainless pots, pans, sinks, glass oven tops and porcelain with *ease*. Doesn't have a smell or it's very neutral. Wish I'd tried this years ago.

For $2.30 + tax (Fleet Farm), it's well worth it. Seems a little goes a long way.

BKF-powdered-cleanser-product-image-front.png

This stuff cleans stainless pots, pans, sinks, glass oven tops and porcelain with *ease*. Doesn't have a smell or it's very neutral. Wish I'd tried this years ago.

For $2.30 + tax (Fleet Farm), it's well worth it. Seems a little goes a long way.

Even more potent when mixed with hot cleaning vinegar.

Great stuff... used it for years... awesome on copper bottom pots.
I've always used Copper-Glo for those, which looks to be a similar product, especially made for copper cleaning/polishing, also containing Oxalic Acid, and perhaps less abrasive?

Next time you're over at Fleet Farm swing into the dairy section and check out their sanitizers and dairy equipment cleaners. All that stuff is for cleaning/sanitizing the stainless steel found at the farm, works great in the brewery too and a lot cheaper. Buying it by the gallon might not be ideal but it lasts a long time. I love Fleet Farm for many of my brewery needs!

Does it work on beerstone? I haven't found anything that can remove that stuff from my stainless steel coils. I've been scraping it off with my fingernails, and now I have no fingernails lol.

BKF is fantastic. I've heard that prolonged contact can harm steel, though - gotta rinse after a couple of minutes.

For beer stone removal without scrubbing I've had excellent success with citric acid solution (1 ounce by weight or volume per gallon).

It's fascinating how alkaline cleaners like PBW and Oxiclean work well for some tasks, and acid cleaners for others. I've heard that super tough cleaning problems can be solved with alternating use of these two types of cleaners.

Then there's the nasty resins and saps that require organic solvents (ranging from friendly vegetable oil to toxic&flammable petro-products like WD-40 and gasoline).

Happy cleaning! 🧽

I don't soak with BKF, I just sprinkle a healthy amount on the wet kettle bottom and use a blue scrubby-back sponge. Takes just a minute or so to get bright again...

Cheers!

Another fan of Barkeepers Friend, here. Great stuff!

BKF is fantastic. I've heard that prolonged contact can harm steel, though - gotta rinse after a couple of minutes.

For beer stone removal without scrubbing I've had excellent success with citric acid solution (1 ounce by weight or volume per gallon).

It's fascinating how alkaline cleaners like PBW and Oxiclean work well for some tasks, and acid cleaners for others. I've heard that super tough cleaning problems can be solved with alternating use of these two types of cleaners.

Then there's the nasty resins and saps that require organic solvents (ranging from friendly vegetable oil to toxic&flammable petro-products like WD-40 and gasoline).

Happy cleaning! 🧽

For those things, use Goo Gone. However, Goo Gone is not food safe, so you have to wash the item to remove the Goo Gone afterwards.

I gave my can to my wife for the cleaning lady to use on something, never got it back. The cleaning lady loved it. The can stayed in the house, had to buy another for my brewery use.

Happy cleaning! 🧽
Just ordered some citric acid! Thanks!

Happy cleaning! 🧽
No luck with Citric Acid. I did 2oz for 2 gallons and soaked. Did nothing for the beerstone :(

Citric acid is invaluable to homebrewers as a passivation agent, but I think caustics are actually the better solution (no pun intended) for beerstone. Hence the popularity of PBW for brewing hardware and LLC/BLC for dispensing systems. That said for mild cases working a thin paste of BKF with a stiff sponge or blue scrubby does do the trick for kettle bottoms :)

Cheers!

Citric acid is invaluable to homebrewers as a passivation agent, but I think caustics are actually the better solution (no pun intended) for beerstone. Hence the popularity of PBW for brewing hardware and LLC/BLC for dispensing systems. That said for mild cases working a thin paste of BKF with a stiff sponge or blue scrubby does do the trick for kettle bottoms :)

Cheers!
I haven't found a solution for beerstone yet. Beerstone remover doesn't work. LLC doesn't work. Star San doesn't work. Citric acid certainly doesn't work.

What took you so long? BKF has been a staple in my brew room for as long as I can remember. My Spike kettles have seen more action over the years than a $5 whore on nickel night and they still look new on the inside thanks to BKF.

Asked myself the same thing. Guess you don't know till ya try!

I haven't found a solution for beerstone yet. Beerstone remover doesn't work. LLC doesn't work. Star San doesn't work. Citric acid certainly doesn't work.
I'm sorry my suggestion was an epic failure for you. Citric acid sure works wonders on the "stone" that accumulates on the element in my electric kettle, which PBW doesn't get. But my water is quite low in minerals, so maybe I don't experience true beer stone.

I'm sorry my suggestion was an epic failure for you. Citric acid sure works wonders on the "stone" that accumulates on the element in my electric kettle, which PBW doesn't get. But my water is quite low in minerals, so maybe I don't experience true beer stone.
I appreciate the help! I might try a higher concentration, since I have a bunch leftover. The stone on my coils is ridiculously stubborn, plus it's built up on spots that I cannot get to to scrub. Super annoying. And of course the company doesn't sell replacement coils. You have to buy the whole cooling system again. So dumb...

fwiw, I see that one can buy oxalic acid on Ebay. I'd proceed with caution with that or nitric acid - both more hazardous to skin (and steel, I suppose) than citric.

BKF is the ONLY thing that gets rid of the brown gunk that accumulates in my BK, leaving a beautiful shiny surface. Started using it in my stainless steel kitchen sink, and am amazed at the results. Also works great to get stains off my really old formica countertops.

Back