Bar Keepers Friend - Just Original for Stainless, yes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyOldGit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm waiting on a couple of small stainless pots and I want to clean them before use (since they could still have burrs or machine oil etc.) and thought I may as well passivate them at the same time.

I'm thinking of using Bar Keepers Friend (as I can use it elsewhere to clean around the house) and just want to check a couple of things:
  1. I should get the 'Original' powder and not the Cookware, Spray, etc.
  2. The process as per John P is just clean it with BKF and a green plastic scrubby, rinse it off, and leave in the sun/air to dry. (How much, btw - just a tablespoon's worth and enough water to make a paste?)
Does this sound about right?

I don't know anything about the other forms of BKF, just the powder, which is awesome stuff if you have a lot of bling to maintain ;) So I'd recommend the powder form.

When I'm cleaning a kettle I rinse it out first, sprinkle some BKF around the area that needs attention, then use a stiff sponge to scrub the thin "paste" around 'til it feels done, and finish with a thorough rinse.

It really is amazing how bright things get with BKF...

Cheers!

Back