Holy crap, I'm outta shape!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
So I just got back from my first "jog" since I was in the Navy, over 10 years ago...

I have zero endurance.

I'm working on this "Couch to 5K plan" to get back into running, and I got some decent running shoes, and now I just need to stick to it.

Boy did a SNPA taste good afterwards!:rockin:

Easy.
  1. You get someone to drop you off a a set distance from your home.
  2. Keep thinking of that lovely beer waiting at home for you when you are done.
  3. Make sure you are drinking less calories (beer) after your run than you just burnt off! :)

Double motivation. Oh and make sure that you do not have enough coin for bus fare so you can't cheat.

That looks like a good plan.
It's all about making it a habit.

Here are some other resources:

Mapping:
http://www.gmaps-pedometer.com
You can use it to map out runs or hikes. It calculates altitiude and calories.

This was my looong morning run.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=715564

Here is an easier trail run.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=715587

Training Schedules: SmartCoach- Set up a 16 week training schedule for a 5k all the way up to a marathon.
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-0-0-0,00.html

Running Routes: Look up other's routes or make your own. Good to use when traveling and you need to find a good run.
http://www.usatf.org/routes/

According to Frank Shorter, you should do most of your training at a level that you can hold a conversation. In other words, don't gas yourself.

I used to run, not competitively or anything, but I did do it regularly. Maybe 4-6 times a week. Then I realized that it's probably one of the most masochistic forms of exercise out there. Not to discourage you, but imho i think there are a lot of other more fun ways to exercise. In any case, good luck!

That is a great program, I did that a few years back and it worked well. Make sure to go to a nice running store. One that will watch you run and look at your foot to get you the correct shoe for your foot. That is the best thing you can do to prevent injury's.

ma2brew said:
So I just got back from my first "jog" since I was in the Navy, over 10 years ago...

I have zero endurance.

I'm working on this "Couch to 5K plan" to get back into running, and I got some decent running shoes, and now I just need to stick to it.

To be completely honest, I am on active duty and probably in no better shape than you. Seems like many of us in the Navy find excuses not to exercise. When I was younger I didn't sweat it too much because I could still pass the semi-annual PRT with no problems, but as I get older it is getting extremely difficult. Plus my metabolism rocked when I was under 25, but now what I eat (and drink) tends to stick to my gut. Another PRT coming up in a month, and I know I need to get motivated, but it'll probably sneak up on me like they always seem to do.

Good Luck with your fitness plan, doing something is better than nothing.

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I quit smoking this last July 22nd, after being a smoker for over 26 years. I've put on over 25 lbs after that, and it was finally time to take action.

For a while during my Navy days I'd go run 5-8 miles every evening just for fun, and I always had a nice Camel Light or two afterwards. I'm skipping the smokes this time, but I would certainly like to get back to the point where a 2-3 mile run was a fun thing.

I don't plan on reducing my intake of beer, or anything else for that matter, so I'm not really looking to get as skinny as one of the Olsen twins, just in shape. I figure if I can get enough exercise in a week to start countering the post tobacco calorie intake I am making progress, right?

SWMBO and I did the "Couch to 5K" program last summer. We've been running 5K 3-4 times a week since then. Stick to the schedule...it works!

My mantra with the whole health/wellness thing is "Progress, not perfection." I tend to beat myself up when I'm being all pathetic during an exercise session. Then I give up and go have some chocolate. Not this time, though! I'm doing good! 17lbs down and counting!

Good luck on your program!! Just be careful of your knees. I've found as I get older the knees are more of a problem after some time not running. I just started again after about a year off, have been taking it slow and have not had too much problem. After about 2 months, am up to 3 miles.

ma2brew said:

This is my "problem" too. I've developed that gut I always thought I wanted, now can't get rid off. So I start hitting the gym, cycling a little...but where do I head as soon as I get home after? Right to the keezer and pull at least 2 or 3. Oh well.

The hardest part of a running program is the first 2-3 weeks, whether you are just starting up or if you're a seasoned runner starting up after time off. I honestly think that's where most people give up - it sucks at the beginning, but once you get into shape, it's actually quite enjoyable. I've been a runner for more than half my life, and for me, there is no better way to release stress, stay in shape, have more energy and commune with nature than running. Good luck with your running program and enjoy it, there's just so much you can take out of running.

Me and the SWMBO were thinking of trying this. I know it is going to be painfull, but damn if I havent put on 30lbs in the last 3 years.

The toughest part of any exercise is making it a habit and losing the bad habits. You just have to stick with it. A few years ago, I hate to think what I couldn't do, but I can do a lot now. :)

TL

Congrats on stopping smoking. I think you have accomplished the hardest part.

The "C25K" is a great program to get people started. The major problem with a lot of beginning runners is they feel they have to run every step or run way too fast. The goal is to build slowly over time, and end every run feeling like you could do a little more. That is what is great about C25K, it incorporates run/walk. This will help stave off injury and keep you looking forward to the next run.

My wife started out on the C25K plan and a 5 years later she is training for her first Ironman. She completed Timberman (half-ironman) last August. It is amazing what the body can do, and it great to hear that you have made probably the biggest change in your life.

Coolrunning where the program came from has a very good forum. They have a beginners section that I feel is beneficial.

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions, I have been a competitive runner since I was 12 (17 years) and now compete in triathlon.

Download Jamil's Podcasts to your MP3 Player.

Start podcast and begin jogging away from your house.

By the time Jamil get's into the actual recipe...turn around and head home.

Nothing like the sound of beer discussion to keep your mind off of the agony of exercise.

BierMuncher said:
Download Jamil's Podcasts to your MP3 Player.

Start podcast and begin jogging away from your house.

By the time Jamil get's into the actual recipe...turn around and head home.

Nothing like the sound of beer discussion to keep your mind off of the agony of exercise.

Replaing the agony of running with the agony of waiting for the recipe!

+1 what triathlete said.

Some great advice here. Thanks again all.

It seems that one of the things that really helped to quit smoking was to tell everyone about it. By broadcasting it I was really motivated to stick with it, so as not to face everyone later and say I failed.

I guess I'm doing the same thing here. It's kind of embarrassing to face everyone later without having given it my all. And hopefully if I meet my goals I'll be encouraging others, just like I've been inspired by others here to get off the couch myself.

By the way: Hit the scales, as it doesn't make much sense to not get my starting gravity here...
273lbs!¡! I'm exactly 6 foot tall, and I'll be 40 in April.

(That's 19.5 stone to you brits! It's 123.8kg for the rest of the world)

I can't agree more about telling everyone. This will hold you accountable as you will have to face those people over and over. That is another good way to stick with the running. Pick a 5K and tell everyone you are running, even if they don't give a s**t. You know they know, and that is motivation in itself.

Have a little brew party after you complete the race. The beauty of training is the refreshments afterwards.

One more piece of advice, before you finish your race have another picked out to run. This will keep you from having the big build up to a race then you cross the finish line, and get the wtf do I do now feeling. Look for another 5K and try to slowly increase you distance to run a 10K. If you need any help let me know.

Like everyone else said, getting started is the hard part. Track your progress to see the improvements on a piece of paper or computer. At times it feels like you aren't doing anything, then you look back and see your mileage climbing and speed climbing. Went from 10 min single mile where I about passed out to a 4 mile race in 34min in 2 months. Great feeling.

Man I'm envious... For four years I used to cycle to college, combine that with 3 nights of trampolining (competetive, and more exercise than you'd think) I was a good healthy weight... Now after a year of having a car I'm back up to almost 17 stone (235lbs)... I've been meaning to start cycleing to college again but lazyness and the Irish weather have stopped me... You should be proud that you've stuck to it...

Back