Holiday Stout Question - Spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violinguy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting together a holiday stout recipe and I'm wondering, should I use allspice instead of a cinnamon stick or in addition to it? I know, I know, very little no matter what. :)

I would say instead of. Allspice is such a powerful spice. If you DO go in addition to, I would go light on the cinnamon and maybe add some vanilla to help everything get alone nicely. I know most people probably buy allspice as a powder but if it were me I would track down whole allspice and make a tincture. Then you could add more if needed to the keg/bottling bucket

I would say instead of. Allspice is such a powerful spice. If you DO go in addition to, I would go light on the cinnamon and maybe add some vanilla to help everything get alone nicely. I know most people probably buy allspice as a powder but if it were me I would track down whole allspice and make a tincture. Then you could add more if needed to the keg/bottling bucket

Tincture to taste is a brilliant idea. Cinnamon tincture too. Mix them to your liking in a glassfull of beer and then add them to the keg adjusted for size. Haha, use very little was my first thought too.

Back