Fig Stout ... thoughts as to the fig addition .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a few floaters , but I believe most were filtered out during bottling ... i stopped transferring a little sooner than I would have otherwise ... got 48 12 oz. bottles out of a six gallon batch ... about right I think as I left a bit in the original transfer to secondary .
going to pop one next Tuesday ... can't wait.

Yesterday was two weeks in the bottle ... first impressions are that it has little to no head ... I don't know if it's just slow carbonation due to the secondary or if I screwed up somehow , or something to do with the fruit . Other than that the flavor is spot on (delicious)... it's got the fig flavor but no sweetness , I made the stout to be an easy drinker , I wanted the fig to be subtle and the beer refreshing not dry ... I believe I achieved that with the recipe and will definately do this one again next year ( burned through all my figs already). The last beer I did that took a long time to carb up was a Wee Heavy , at two weeks it was totally flat and I was panicking (Don't do that) at one month it had nice carbonation and head , that was the last beer that I secondaried prior to this one... I'm going back offshore tomorrow and I suspect when I get back in this will have carbed up more and I will see more head retention :yes:
20230927_180856[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20230927_180856[1].jpg
    20230927_180856[1].jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 0
*Bump*

How'd all the Fig Stouts end up after aging? After Sir Issac (BCBS variation from 2022), it's been in the back of my mind. With no tree, figs are absurdly expensive so using this extract.

Screenshot_20231125-134941.png

Most of mine is *still* aging, but the samples to date have been a bit disappointing in terms of fig and spice flavors coming through. Just tastes like a nice dry stout so far.
Thanks for replying. I haven't had much success adding flavor pre- fermentation. The flavor was either weak or "odd". This is why I switched to extracts. Or I'll soak whatever I want in bourbon or vodka if I don't want the bourbon taste, to kill anything not wanting. Lots of success with that technique.

Plan on a 10.8% Milk Imperial Stout splitting in half. Half fig extract and half toasted coconut/coco nibs soaked in probably vodka.

Thanks for replying. I haven't had much success adding flavor pre- fermentation. The flavor was either weak or "odd". This is why I switched to extracts. Or I'll soak whatever I want in bourbon or vodka if I don't want the bourbon taste, to kill anything not wanting. Lots of success with that technique.

Plan on a 10.8% Milk Imperial Stout splitting in half. Half fig extract and half toasted coconut/coco nibs soaked in probably vodka.
How much of that fig extract do you plan to use? I'm going to be brewing a porter that I'd like to flavor with fig.

20231128_131920.jpg
I was just thinking as I opened this particular beer that it is aging quite well...If you look back a few posts you will see me panicking due to the lack of head . That is no longer an issue. The flavor is just what I was looking for ...hard to describe but eat a fig and imagine it without the sweetness and there you go.
Subtle but very complimentary to the stout ...I added no spices to mine as that is not something I like in beer.
I will do this one again next year.
Good luck with the extract .

Back