Holes in scoby, no mold apparent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHERYLinND

Reaction score
I have had a couple problems recently with my scoby. After brewing for a week or so, there are holes forming in the scoby. Rather than getting stronger and thicker like normal, it's almost like the scoby is being dissolved. Have any of you ever encountered this?

It doesn't look or smell like mold.

Ugh! I threw the icky ones out, since I had several containers going. If it occurs again, I'll take copious pics and post them.

It's just weird, because the SCOBYs are usually so rubbery and tough.

It could be carbonation/carbon dioxide bubbles coming through? Mine look bubbely, but they keep getting thicker slowly. I would give it more time and see what it turns to.

These aren't bubbles, the scoby itself disintigrated. If any of my new batches do it, I'll get detailed images.

So the problem continues. I was using Earl Grey tea previously, but this batch was normal black tea. The SCOBYs that form are thin and break up easily. Some of the existing ones are getting weaker and getting holes.

I have pictures of the appearance. The SCOBYs just don't seem to be forming on the surface like normal.

The surface in the bigger jar shows how it's not forming well. This is after at least two weeks, more like three, so it's not a matter of patience.

thin weak SCOBy.jpg

breaking down SCOBYs.jpg

eaten looking SCOBY.jpg

weird surface KT.jpg

I added some braggs Apple cider vinegar to my last batch and my scobys grew quickly. Maybe your brew is off balance.

I just found this thread as I have holes in mine through a very thick scoby! Maybe carbonation?! I threw it out as I have another one but this never happened before. Btw you should not use earl gray as it has bergamot oil so that maybe be why you have an issue.

Another thing to try is to use a different type of tea. Earl grey tea contains bergamot oil, which can be harmful to SCOBYs. Try using a plain black tea or a green tea instead.

I may be having a similar issue, searching told me the layer may be dying so I pulled off the top, the lower layers look okay I think... drained the most of the batch, added a quarter cup of Braggs, and some of a second batch I have that looks good still, hopefully it looks better after that

Attachments

• 20240119_150828.jpg
    20240119_150828.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back