Holding Ferm Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKEbrew

Reaction score
Currently fermenting with Wyeast 1332 and need a temp range of 65-75°F but I'm only at like 58-60. It's fermenting, but I want to be in the right temp range.

Am considering doing a swamp cooler with a fish tank heater, but how many watt heater? I have a small 25w heater available to me right now, but don't feel like that's enough. Not sure that I want to buy the wrap around heater because I don't want to have to take my A419 off my fridge every time I need heat.

I'm in Wisconsin and my basement is usually pretty consistent, I just ignored the requirements for this yeast as I've made this brew before... in the summer! lol

I could move it upstairs, but then it would be on carpet and out of sight -- I don't want to do that in case I get blow off (plus, I don't want the kids messing with it).

So, anyone who's used a fish tank heater think a 25w heater will get me up within the range? Even on the low end?

Thanks!

I wouldn't try to push 70° - 75° with WY1332 unless it is a big Saison. I have had my best flavor development at 62° to 64° for the first few days of active fermentation with this yeast. I pitch into the wort when it is at 58° to 62°.

My brew room has an ambient temperature of 66° to 67° so my task is keeping the fermentors cool.

It would be awesome to just leave it, but I feel like 58 is low when it calls for 65. I was just going to try to hit 65-66 and hold it there if I could. Wasn't really aiming for the 75!

I am running into the same issue. I am making a Nelson Hopped Saison. I used American Farmhouse yeast and I am barely keeping it at 60.....I know it has been fermenting I had strong blowoff tube action for the first 48-72 hours but not a lot now....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a 150 watt aquarium heater, works great. Got it for $16 on amazon so it's not a big investment.

My gut feeling is that 25 watt would be too little to hold your temps. However, it can't hurt to try.

My gut feeling is that 25 watt would be too little to hold your temps. However, it can't hurt to try.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I wanted to decide if I should run to Northern Brewer on my lunch today or not.

Thanks for the responses!

Currently fermenting with Wyeast 1332 and need a temp range of 65-75°F but I'm only at like 58-60. It's fermenting, but I want to be in the right temp range.
Thanks!

That about the temperature of my basement right now, perhaps closer to 60. What I've done for my last 2 batches is start it in the basement with a blanket underneath (the floor is cold!) and a blanket covering the fermenter. Both batches starter around 60 and got up to the mid- to high-60s at its peak of fermentation. Once activity settled down and the temperature starter to drop, I moved my fermenter upstairs into an interior closet where the ambient temperature is consistently in the high 60s. Keeping the fermenter covered, I was able to keep a belgian in the low 70s for weeks that way.

I personally did not want to deal with a heating element so this has worked well for me.

Is a heating pad to much? I was thinking of wrapping my carboy in a blanket then putting a heating pad on low around it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a "fermwrap" which is basically a heating blanket. It's only 40W but goes right on the carboy, and then I wrap an old pillowcase around it to hold in the heat. It has no problem maintaining ferm temp. It can raise 5 gal by 1degF in about 10 mins. I have it on an STC-1000 controller and will maintain the temp +/- 0.5degF (assuming the ambient temp is cool enough, if ambient temp is too warm then it becomes an issue of keeping it cool). If I were to do it again, I'd try to find a heat mat for a reptile terrarium for example. The fermwrap is flimsy and seems weak and poorly constructed.

I've also thought of putting a heating pad under it and calling it a day.

Just checked it and it's at a solid 58 now. I expect it to stay there, but don't know what to expect as the outcome. Think I'll exhaust the 25w heater idea and see if I can raise it at all with that.

I feel like this will be a one-time thing. I usually pay more attention to needed temps.

Be careful when using a heater, heat pad or Fermwrap to heat your fermenter. Unless it is regulated by a controller (like an STC – 1000, Ranco, etc.), the temperature can easily get too high.

I'd much rather have it be below optimal than above, especially during the first few days.

Ok, so can anyone comment on what I should expect if I just ferment it at 58 the whole time?

Lack of flavor, off-flavor? Won't know unless I try? lol

Ok, so can anyone comment on what I should expect if I just ferment it at 58 the whole time?

If it will finish fermenting at that temp, you may end up with a very clean ferment (like with Nottingham used cool) or some sort of interesting off-flavor like the peachy notes some folks get using US-05 below 64*F.

I can live with that. Right now I have a small space heater near it that turns itself on and of. Brought it up to 62 and will see if I can hold that with any consistency. Didn't want to fluctuate it too much if it wasn't going to do the trick.

The yeast may drop out before it is finished, leaving you with a high FG and a sweet beer. At the height of fermentation the yeast is generating heat, but as it starts to come to an end, it creates less heat, and if it gets too low, will stall.

A 25 watt element is probably OK. Supposed to be good for a 10 gallon tank. I'd recommend getting a larger one so it is not heating all the time, but the 25 watt should work.

One important thing to check. When you get one, make sure it covers the temperature range you want. When I looked for one, most of he ones that I found had temp ranges too high (I think the low end was in the mid to high 70s). I eventually found one (good price and on-line) that went down into the mid 60s.

Got to think about the whole system. Heat in and Heat out ..... Temperature!

Don't forget to consider the system isolation.

If you can isolate the system fairly well, you can maintain the temp with very little power in and out.

In other words, if your fermentation chamber is really well insulated, you might get by with a 2 watt bulb...

Cheers!

Back