Holding Down Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absoluthamm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have your (fairly) standard 54quart rectangle igloo cooler mashtun with a CPVC manifold. My problem is the deadspace. If I dough-in and hold the manifold down manually(usually with a second mash paddle or something) then I am ok, but it is a pain in the butt to try to stir correctly with only one arm. If I do not hold the manifold down, then it sticks up a little because of how the spout is located on the cooler.

I am just curious if anyone has found any trick to holding the manifold down. I have thought of finding a way to secure some kind of hook to hold over it to keep it down, but I see that causing leakage and/or having to put more materials in that could leach into the wort. I don't really want to put something like a big heavy object in there either if I don't have to because I don't want to channel around those areas and lose out on those sugars. Any solutions?

Being CPVC, can't you heat up the run that's messing up the whole "lay flat dammit!" thing and re-form it so the manifold does lay flat?

Cheers!

I don't believe(at work so can't look atm) that it is because the tubing is bent at all, but more because of the angle of the spout. I'll take a look when I get home and check though.

Did you glue yours? I didn't (okay, its copper but same principle) so I can pivot it a bit to get it to lay flat...

Back