HLT size for 10 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
Recently I've been buying parts here and there to upgrade my rig. One thing I picked up was a new burner to heat a HLT.
Today when I was at Wallyworld, I picked up a 32-qt aluminum tamale steamer to use as a HLT for $23. They had a 50-qt for $40 (which I thought was a significant increase in price over size) but since I'm working on a fairly tight budget I went with the cheaper, smaller one.
I'm now realizing that it might be too small. This pot is advertised as 32-qt, but it looks a bit smaller. I formerly was using a 5 gallon igloo cooler as my HLT, which I had to top off about halfway through my sparge.
Should I return the pot and bite the cost of the 50-qt?

Edit: I am fly sparging and my kettle is a keggle.

Yes, go with the 50qt. You will want to match your HLT with your preboil volume, AT LEAST! 12.5 gal should work. You'll probably end up with 11.5 max usable volume. Question though: What water to grist ratio do you use? I use and recommend 1.5qt/pound +- .25 for good efficiency. In fact, my highest efficiency was at 1.5 qt/pound. (85%) I actually never have to adjust this ratio, but most recently I hit some high efficiency with it.

HUGE TANGENT STOPS HERE!

Basically, if you increase the water in your MLT, you can get by with less volume in your HLT. Not enough to get by with an 8 gal HLT, though.

I just ran out and returned the 32, picked up the 50. Also grabbed a Farberware thermometer to mount into it until I can afford something better.
Thanks guys.

I vote keggle. You may never need the extra capacity, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Latest posts

Back