HLT question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbjr1960

Reaction score
So I have decided to go electric after standing over the LPG burner on my first brew day in 90 deg + weather. here is my question, is there any reason I cannot use a 110v 20 gal electric hot water heater for my HLT. I plan to filter the water going in and turning up the thermostat to 190 deg. I'm thinking worse case scenario I may have to swap out the element and use a after market controller, but I still think it would be cheaper than modifying a kettle. I can get a 40 gal. 4500 Watt Double Element 240 Volts for $237 and a 20 gal. 2000 Watt Single Element 110 Volts for $289. What do ya think?

the controllers go up to 190? I've adjusted mine, but I sure don't remember it going that high. If so, then I don't see why not. The 240V heater will only get you 1/4th the rated power at 120, so that's not the best choice. The 2000W is the one you want.

Although, if you buy an external controller, you might as well just get a used keg and mount a home depot element in there.

hot water tanks tend to collect sediment, rust, minerals, etc in them over time. real chefs never cook with hot water, they use cold for just this reason.

a heat stick can be made for < $50 and can go right in your HLT at the same wattage that the $289 water heater has... plus then you can use your HLT for other things like herms.

if you already have the kettle then modifying it or adding a heat stick is WAY cheaper than $300 for a large hot water heater.

I would filter the water going in and the unit would be mounted right on my stand and only filled when brewing, so I don't think it would collect any gunk. I would probably raise it up and gravity feed out of the drain as it would not be under pressure.

I don't think it would be any cheaper to rebuild a water heater that is probably coated iron and various other metals for fittings than to buy a kettle. If you have 300 burning a hole in your pocket why not spend it on a stainless blingman or penrose kettle and modify it to your needs?

-cheers

the kettle will be lighter, easier to clean, cheaper and easier to replace parts. but if you think having a hot water heater is cool then you should do that... it's YOUR rig.

OK, you guys have convinced me, I went out and bought a Bayou Classic 15 gal @ $160 for my HLT. Will be documenting the HERMS build in the DIY section.

Back