Historical and uncommon styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_ale_scale

Reaction score
Where does everyone find information or odd or old styles? I normally use BJCP styles as guides but they only have information on the most common beer styles. Any and all help is appreciated

Experimental brewing has done a podcast on a grisette, an extinct belgian table beer. I'm thinking they have covered an additional style but I can't recall what it was.

This is a good spot for UK styles:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/

His level of detail is unmatched. Also lookup the reddit homebrewing group. The name escapes me, but there is a poster who does regular updates on meeting with traditional farmhouse brewers that are absolutely phenomenal. Nothing we can reproduce without their house yeast, but a good launching point nonetheless.

There are all kinds of historical beers including grodziskie (spelling is probably off), Gose, Lichtenhainer, Braunschweiger Mumme, Lithuanian raw beers, Sahti, German porter, gruits, American styles like Albany Ale, Kentucky Common, etc. also take a look at Randy Mosher‘s Radical Brewing as a springboard to older recipes.

lostbeers.com is the English version of a more comprehensive Dutch site covering old beers of the Low Countries - koyt and all that kind of thing.

Back