Higher OG, Higher FG... Still Winning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Welp, I aimed for 1.071 og, got 1.082 biab @ 78% eff. I know, right?! Pitched Mr. Malty recommendation of 3 vials of White Labs San Diego Super Yeast into 3L of Starter at 100g/L DME for a 10 gallon batch size. The FG based on 1.071 should have been 1.011 but I'm at 1.022 at minimal activity (1 bubble if I yell at the air lock). I drank the sample and it is WONDERFUL but a tad hot (yay conditioning). I'm just wondering for future reference if I should expect to hit higher FG when hitting higher OG. Attenuation rate for WLP090 is 76-83%.

Thanks!

No, you should not see a 1-for-1 increase like that. If you start 10 points higher and your yeast attenuates at 80%, you should see a 2 point increase in fg.

Also, even in your original recipe, 1.071 to 1.011 would be (71-11)/71 = 85% attenuation. That's above the stated range of the yeast. (possible with a low mash temp, but not expected for a "normal" beer).

Did you happen to mash a little on the warm side?

My mash was spot on unfortunately 152-154. But looking back, you're right, there was an error in expectation for FG... I'll have to look into the the software and see what it was expecting that I might not have done... To give it that extra drop in FG.
Another 24 hours and +2f dialed in.

Back