High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenmeister

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is ironic, what with a post from yesterday referencing Low OG. I did a 15 gallon batch yesterday on my Spike system. It had 32.5 lbs of 2-Row, 5 pounds of Munich, and about five pounds of other grains such as Crystal 80, 20, etc. Beer Smith says my expected OG (at 72% Eff) SHB 1.068, and in past brews of this exact recipe I was always within a point or two of that. Yesterday, I hit 1.082, way more than anticipated. I've been trying to figure out what I did wrong (or right, for that matter). I know my water was right, and am 75% sure my grains were measured right.
First question is should I dilute what I have now in the fermenter by adding another gallon or so of water to get it down to anticipated level? Will that cause any harm to the wort?
Any thoughts on what else could have caused this? If it is an efficiency issue, then I am up around 83% which is really good, but I will have to start scaling some of my tried and true recipes. I did one or two minor things different in how I brought my water to strike temp, but outside of that nothing I can figure out that would cause such a spike in gravity.

Seems like you had a really efficient mash. What kind of water are you using? Tap water or are you building your own water profile? My one thought was that if you use tap water, maybe the water content changed this time of year and you hit the sweet spot to increase efficiency.

I am using tap water, but in the Seattle market so it is usually consistent between seasons. That said, I will test the pH and see where it is currently vs my last batch, which I did measure.
This was a 15 Gallon batch... 17.5 Gals into Boil Kettle, about 16 Gals into the Fermenter, and I am anticipating about 15 Gallons out.

Back