Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski31

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this situation. I currently do 2.5 gallon BIAB beers. I took a 5g all-grain NEIPA kit and split it into two batches ( I measured them out evenly on a good electric scale I own). Both of them finished with higher than expected FG of 1.027 and 1.036.

Fermentation Equipment:
3.5g SS brew bucket with FTSS cooling, to keep the wort at a set temp.

The 5g grain bill that was split into two batches:
10 lbs 2-Row Pale
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Flaked Wheat
8 oz Carapils Malt
8 oz Wheat Malt
4 oz Honey Malt

Yeast: Imperial A38

First Batch:
Mashed in @ 152F for 60min (it only came down to 149F)
After mash and boil. Cooled to exactly 65F and took a OG reading of 1057. Oxygenated the wort with my O2 tank & wand and pitched the whole packet of A38 yeast. The packet claims to contain 200 billion cells and was just under two months old. For a 2.5g 1060 beer I figured this would be fine.
The fermentation took off right about 6 hours after pitching and only was visibly active in the airlock for two days. I kept the fermentation temp at 65F for the first three days and raised it to 70-71F for the last seven days. During the last three day I kept on getting the same refractometer reading of 1027. I tried gently rousing the beer to maybe wake some of the yeast. Pitched some viable A38 yeast I had just made in a start and nothing! I also raised the temp to 71F. Nothing seemed to work, so I just kegged it and had a nice session beer.

Second Batch.
The only thing different to this batch was that:
1. I added 1/4 lb more of 2-row pale (To bump up efficiency)
2. I did a large 3L starter with a fresh less than a month old pack of A38. Which I pitched half and saved half for a future brew day.

This time with the same mashing and boiling schedule I came out with a OG of 1067 (Which was anticipated since I added the extra 2 row. The same thing happened! Quick strong fermentation for the first two days, then activity in the air lock stopped. Days 7-10 all had FG readings of 1036?!

I am not sure why this is happening. I am pitching healthy viable yeast. I seem to be getting a stuck fermentation every time. I try to gently rouse the yeast, raise the temp and even re-pitch more yeast. I have a great fermentation vessel with great internal temp control. Both beers actually tasted very good but I would like to know how to fix this as this is not the intended result. I am wondering why I am getting such crappy attenuation?

If someone had and insight on what might be happening or if I am doing something wrong please let me know!

Cheers!

Refractometers don't give an accurate reading of FG because of the alcohol. 1.030 is a typical refractometer FG reading. Your beer is likely great! Grab a hydrometer for FG readings.
Thanks for that! It makes a lot of sense now!

Back